1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent efficiency of three power generators need help

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    A coal power plant with three power generators is used to power a small city. If each generator uses 1.22 X 10^8 J of chemical energy in the coal every hour, and the average annual energy consumption of the city is 1.61 X 10^12 J. What is the efficiency of the generators?
    (Assume the generators run 24 hours a day 365 days a year)

SO here's what I've got so far:

(1.22 X 10^8 J)(3 generators)= 3.6 X 10^8 J used per hour for 3 generators.
    (3.6 X 10^8 J)(24H)= 8.6 X 10^9 J consumed in 24 Hours or 1 Day.
    (8.6 X 10^9 J)(365 Days)= 3.14 X 10^12 J consumed per year.

So I know how much energy the generators consume but how do I figure out the annual energy output of the generators, and what kind of energy would it be?

1.61 X 10^12 J= Cities annual energy consumption

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2
    The question gives no information about loss or conversion going from the generators' output to consumption in the city so you have to assume there is none; they are the same in both size and "kind of energy"; what comes out of the generators is consumed in the city.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #3
    so there is really no answer for this question then because there is not enough information?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?