Calculating Glucose Concentration of Solution

• Thread starter MichaelXY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the percent of solution in a given amount of glucose and the molarity of the solution. The formula for calculating molarity is also mentioned. The correct calculation for the amount of glucose is determined to be .0005 grams or .5 grams for 10mL of solution.
MichaelXY
[SOLVED] Percent of solution

Homework Statement

Let's say we have 5% glucose of a 10 mL solution. So that would imply that .5 mL of the solution is glucose, but that does not really tell me how much glucose. Is it assumed that the glucose is 1 molar?

I ask because in one of my bio labs we did a lab where we were given exactly as stated above. Knowing the exact amount of glucose was not needed for the lab, however, I would like to understand this for future use.

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, the post above mine tells you exactly what you need to do.

Okay, let's see if I got this right. Since the solute is H2O, I assume 1 molar H2O.
Since 1 mole H2O = 18 grams/mole and I use the molarity formula to get grams.
10mL of H20 or .01L x 1 molar = .01 grams of H20.
ergo .01g H2O x 5% = 5 x 10^-4 gram glucose, or .0005 gram.
Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

yes now if only someone would help me for christ's sake...

I wish I could, but as you can see, I am not that good at chem. Thanks for the assist :)

You probably need to use units of percent weight/volume of solution. The glucose solution is not sensibly prepared as volume of glucose solid per volume of solution.

So by that you mean, Mass of solute/100 mL solution? So I think that would equate to .5 gram C6H12O6 @ 10mL Does that sound correct?

MichaelXY said:
So by that you mean, Mass of solute/100 mL solution? So I think that would equate to .5 gram C6H12O6 @ 10mL Does that sound correct?

That would give you 5 percent weight per volume.

1. How do you calculate the glucose concentration of a solution?

The glucose concentration of a solution can be calculated by dividing the amount of glucose in grams by the volume of the solution in liters. This will give you the concentration in grams per liter (g/L).

2. What is the formula for calculating glucose concentration?

The formula for calculating glucose concentration is C = m/V, where C represents concentration in g/L, m represents the mass of glucose in grams, and V represents the volume of the solution in liters.

3. What is the unit of measurement for glucose concentration?

The unit of measurement for glucose concentration is grams per liter (g/L).

4. Can the glucose concentration of a solution be measured using a spectrophotometer?

Yes, a spectrophotometer can be used to measure the absorbance of a solution containing glucose. The absorbance can then be used to calculate the concentration of glucose in the solution.

5. How does temperature affect the calculation of glucose concentration?

The temperature of a solution can affect the density and volume, which can in turn affect the calculation of glucose concentration. It is important to ensure that the temperature is consistent when calculating the concentration of a solution.