Percent Uncertainty of a spherical beach ball

In summary: V/V= 3 dr/r is the same as \Delta V/V= 3 \Delta r/r.In summary, the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball with a radius of r = 3.86 ± 0.08 m is 6%, calculated using the formula (uncertainty)/(value) x 100. This can also be approximated by using the formula dV/V = 3 dr/r, where dV is the uncertainty in volume and dr is the uncertainty in radius.
Anamoly
Question is : What is the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball whose radius is r = 3.86 ± 0.08 m ?

The answer is 6 % , but I am not getting that, I am pretty sure I am on the right path, I found the volume of the ball using V = (4 x 3.14 x r^3) / 3

Btw, I am pretty sure you need to take into account the ± .08m for 3.86 when you find radius. I got 3.94 and 3.78 Radius's. But I still don't see how I can get 6 %. Heres the percent uncertainty formula. (uncertainty)/(value) x 100

Maybe I am on the wrong track, please help me through this problem, I am new to Physics and a little rusty on my math, so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Anamoly

Physics news on Phys.org
how much calculus have u done? because what i will be posting further requires calc knowledge ...

V = (4/3)*pi*r^3
dV/dr = (4/3)*pi*3*r^2 = 4*pi*r^2

let delta_V (the uncertainty in volume) and delta_r (the uncertainty in radius) ..
then its easy to show that.
delta_V = (dV/dr) * delta_r
so ,
delta_V = 4*pi*r^2*delta_r

Now as u said,
percentage error = (uncertainty)/(value) * 100
i.e
percentage error
= delta_V / V * 100
= (4*pi*r^2*delta_r)/((4/3)*pi*r^3) * 100
= (3/r)*delta_r*100

put r = 3.86 and delta_r = 0.08
and u will get 6.22%

-- AI

Here's a method of solving the question without calculus.

V= (4pi/3)* r^3
that part is easily calculated to give 240.91 m^3
For the calculation of error use the following.
1)Multiplication by a constant does not change the PERCENT ERROR.
2)The PERCENT ERROR in a value raised to a constant power is power*%error in the value.
% error in the radius is 2%
4pi/3 is a constant value and has no effect on the %error of the volume.
% error in volume = 3*2 = 6%.
Thus the % error in the volume is 6%.

To get a precise value: if r = 3.86 ± 0.08 m , then r could be as large as 3.86+ 0.08 = 3.94 m. Calculate the volume of a sphere with that radius. (256 cubic meters)
r could be as small as 3.86- 0.08= 3.76. Calculate the volume of that. (222.6 cubic meters)

The "reference" size is r= 3.86. Calculate the volume of that sphere (241 cubic meters). The true size could be 241-222.6= 18.4 cubic meters too small or 256- 241= 15 cubic meters too small. The larger of those is 18.4 so the "uncertainty" is 18.4 cubic meters. Now divide by the volume, 241 cubic meters, to get the "relative uncertainty" which is actually about 7%.

A good approximation is to use V= (4/3)πr3 to get dV= 4πr2dr and, then, dV/V= 3 dr/r. With r= 3.86 and dr= 0.08, this is dV/V= 3(0.08/3.86)= 6.2%.

Notice the calculations done on that approximation are the same as Hypercase gave.

1. What is the percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball?

The percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball refers to the amount of error or variation in measurement that is expected when determining the size or volume of the beach ball. It is often expressed as a percentage and can be calculated by dividing the uncertainty of measurement by the actual value and multiplying by 100.

2. How is the percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball calculated?

The percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball can be calculated by dividing the uncertainty of measurement by the actual value and multiplying by 100. For example, if the uncertainty of measurement is 0.5 cm and the actual value is 10 cm, the percent uncertainty would be (0.5 cm / 10 cm) x 100 = 5%.

3. What factors can contribute to the percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball?

There are several factors that can contribute to the percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball, including the precision of the measuring instrument, the skill and consistency of the person taking the measurement, and any external factors that may affect the shape or size of the beach ball, such as temperature or air pressure.

4. How does the percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball affect the accuracy of measurements?

The percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball can have a significant impact on the accuracy of measurements. The higher the percent uncertainty, the less accurate the measurement will be. This means that there is a greater chance of error or variation in the measurement, making it less reliable for scientific purposes.

5. How can the percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball be reduced?

The percent uncertainty of a spherical beach ball can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, ensuring consistent and accurate measurement techniques, and controlling for any external factors that may affect the size or shape of the beach ball. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and averaging the results can also help to decrease the percent uncertainty.