1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent Uncertainty Question

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    I am asked "What is the area and it's approximate uncertainty of a circle of radius 3.8x10^4 cm?"

Now finding the area is easy. In my text it says that when you aren't GIVEN an uncertainty, you can assume it is a reasonable figure in the last digit, so in this problem I am assuming the original value is 32,000 cm +/- 5 cm. So far so good...

Now, how do I find the percent uncertainty of my final answer? Because I know the percent uncertainty in my 32,000 cm figure, but how does this come into play after squaring it and multiplying it by pi?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi fattydq! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Surely the "last digit" is the 8 … the question says 3.8x104 cm, not 3.8000x104 cm ?

If you have an error of 1% in something, does the error change if you multiply that something by π?

And what happens if you square it (try it, and see)?

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    I thought if you had a percent uncertainty...and multiplied it by something else with percent uncertainty, that you would add the two values to get the final percent uncertainty?

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right! :smile:

So if you square something, then the uncertainty … ? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook