1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percentage Error Question

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    There is a 0.8% error in the surface area of a sphere. Find the resulting % error in the volume of the sphere.

I am having trouble solving this and I was wondering if someone could give me a hint?

I currently have reached a dead end with:

2 delta r
    -------- = %SA
    r

However, I don't have any known r values to work with...

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

[tex]S= 4 \pi r^2 , \; V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^2[/tex]. Solve r in terms of S and plug it into the formula for the volume.

4. May 21, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You will also need differentials dr, dS, and dV, since you want dS/S. Recall that dS = dS/dr * dr.

5. May 22, 2010 #4
    My final answer was 2.4%; was that right?

6. May 22, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is an engineer's rule of thumb, derived from the differential of Mark44, that "if measurements add, their errors add, if measurements multiply, their percentage errors add. Since here, you have a percentage error of .008 in r, and [itex]V= (4/3)\pi r^3[/itex] involves multiplying r three times, yes, the percentage error in V is 3(.008)= 0.024 or 2.4%.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. May 22, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Recall that 0.8% is the error in S, not r. So 2.4% is incorrect.

Procrastinate, try finding the % error in r first, what do you get for that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook