Percentage Error Question

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resulting percentage error in the volume of a sphere with a known 0.8% error in its surface area. The approach involves using differentials and the engineer's rule of thumb for multiplying measurements. The final answer is incorrect as the error is in the surface area, not the radius.
Procrastinate
There is a 0.8% error in the surface area of a sphere. Find the resulting % error in the volume of the sphere.

I am having trouble solving this and I was wondering if someone could give me a hint?

I currently have reached a dead end with:

2 delta r
-------- = %SA
r

However, I don't have any known r values to work with...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]S= 4 \pi r^2 , \; V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^2[/tex]. Solve r in terms of S and plug it into the formula for the volume.

You will also need differentials dr, dS, and dV, since you want dS/S. Recall that dS = dS/dr * dr.

My final answer was 2.4%; was that right?

There is an engineer's rule of thumb, derived from the differential of Mark44, that "if measurements add, their errors add, if measurements multiply, their percentage errors add. Since here, you have a percentage error of .008 in r, and [itex]V= (4/3)\pi r^3[/itex] involves multiplying r three times, yes, the percentage error in V is 3(.008)= 0.024 or 2.4%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recall that 0.8% is the error in S, not r. So 2.4% is incorrect.

Procrastinate, try finding the % error in r first, what do you get for that?

1. What is percentage error?

Percentage error is a measure of how inaccurate a value is compared to the true or accepted value. It is calculated by taking the difference between the measured value and the true value, dividing it by the true value, and multiplying by 100.

2. What does a positive or negative percentage error indicate?

A positive percentage error indicates that the measured value is higher than the true value, while a negative percentage error indicates that the measured value is lower than the true value.

3. How do you calculate percentage error?

Percentage error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the measured value and the true value, dividing it by the true value, and multiplying by 100. The result is then expressed as a percentage.

4. Why is percentage error important in scientific experiments?

Percentage error helps to determine the accuracy of an experimental result. It allows scientists to evaluate the reliability of their measurements and identify potential sources of error in their experiments.

5. Can percentage error be greater than 100%?

Yes, percentage error can be greater than 100%. This indicates that the measured value is more than double the true value. It is common in situations where significant errors or discrepancies exist in the experimental setup or measurements.