Percentage Error for Length & PD Measurement Questions

• Thread starter fickle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, the experiment attempted to determine which measurement could be measured more accurately based on which had a lower percentage error. The actual values were the theoretical or expected value. The information given with the lab was that errors can be treated in a number of ways, but that none of them were described in the question.
fickle

Homework Statement

What are the percentage errors for lengths measured with meter rulers and potential differences measured with voltmeters?

I have a question asking me which of the two measurements can be measured more accurately, based on which one's percentage error is lower.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it done this way:

For length, % error = 1/1000 *100

For p.d., % error = 1/10 *100

?

Please clarify, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Percentage error is given by the formula:

% error = (|measured value - actual value|/actual value)*100

It would help if you posted the question in full since we can't guess what numbers you are supposed to be using.

The measurements for the lengths are:
0.05m, 0.15m, 0.30m, 0.45m, 0.60m, 0.75m and 0.90m

The measurements for the p.d.'s are:
0.05V, 0.10V, 0.20V, 0.30V, 0.40V, 0.50V and 0.60V

I guess these are the measured values for the equation, but what would be the actual values then?

Is that the question in full? If not could you post it. I would expect in a question like this that you would be given the true value and the value that people have measured unless I've misinterpreted.

Sorry for being unclear, but this is an experiment with a potentiometer actually. The measurements were what I observed during the experiment; none were given. The question following the instructions asks "Which can you measure more accurately, L or V; ie, which has the smaller percentage error?"

Hope this helps.

In that case the actual value will be the theoretical or expected value.

Is that the mean?

If you took more than one measurement for each length (You're normally advised to take at least 3 in a lab), then there is another method of obtaining the percentage error in measurement.

% error = (1/2)*((max value - min value)/ avg. value)

Since I do not know what was expected of you in your lab I couldn't tell you which method to use. I'm beginning to think this one sounds the best at the minute.

What information have you been given with your lab about errors?

All the experiment tells me to do is to observe and record the p.d. reading and the distance the contact point is touching, and to use the whole range of the potentiometer wire to record a series of readings for the p.d. and the length of the wire. I did do the experiment two or three times to back-check the p.d readings and I got the exact same values each time.

Honestly, I thought the question about accuracy in measurements was just about the scale divisions, and that the length would be measured more accurately than the voltage because of this.

The lab mentions nothing else about errors. It just goes on to tell me to plot a graph of V against L.

Last edited:
Ok chasing the problem down. In that case you will probably be correct in that it comes down to scale divisions.

Ok, so if that is the correct way, how would this be done then? Is it anything close to what I suggested in my original post?

Can anyone help here?

The problem with this question is that percentage error could mean one of a number of things. I'm surprised your lab did not give you any guidance about how to report errors. If you wish I can mail a handbook about the treatment of errors in the lab to you, but I would suggest you ask an advisor as to what they expect when you report errors in your write up.

Ok. Thanks for your help though.

1. What is percentage error and why is it important for length and PD measurements?

Percentage error is a measure of the accuracy of a measurement, calculated by taking the difference between the measured value and the accepted value, dividing it by the accepted value, and multiplying by 100. It is important for length and PD measurements because it allows us to assess the precision and reliability of our measurements, and identify any potential sources of error in our methods.

2. How do you calculate percentage error for length and PD measurements?

To calculate percentage error for length and PD measurements, you first need to measure the length or PD using a ruler or caliper. Then, you need to find the accepted value for that measurement, which can be obtained from a reference source or by conducting multiple trials and finding the average. Next, subtract the accepted value from the measured value, divide by the accepted value, and multiply by 100 to get the percentage error.

3. What are some common sources of error for length and PD measurements?

Some common sources of error for length and PD measurements include human error in reading the measurement instrument, parallax error when measuring with a ruler or caliper, and variation in the properties of the object being measured. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and equipment calibration can also contribute to measurement error.

4. How can you reduce percentage error in length and PD measurements?

To reduce percentage error in length and PD measurements, it is important to use precise and accurate measurement tools, such as a digital caliper or a micrometer. It is also crucial to minimize human error by taking multiple measurements and calculating the average, and by ensuring that the measurement instrument is properly aligned and free from obstructions that could cause parallax error. Additionally, controlling external factors such as temperature and humidity can also help reduce measurement error.

5. Is there an acceptable range for percentage error in length and PD measurements?

There is no universally accepted range for percentage error in length and PD measurements, as it can vary depending on the specific application and the level of precision required. However, in general, a lower percentage error indicates a more accurate measurement. It is important to consider the acceptable range of error for the specific measurement being performed and to continually strive to improve the accuracy and precision of measurements.