What is the gas composition in a tank with a SF6 leak?

• I
  • Thread starter Graaf van Vlaanderen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Tank
In summary, the conversation discusses a leak in a SF6 gas HV circuit breaker and the question of what would be the percentage of air and SF6 in a tank when SF6 gas is added to it. The person answering the question calculates that the percentage of SF6 would be (0.2/1.2)*100 and mentions that the SF6 would likely pool at the bottom of the tank.
Graaf van Vlaanderen
We discovered a leak in a SF6 gas HV circuit breaker. Since we don't know when the leak occurred due to temperature changes I assume there is only air left in the tank.
Here is my question. Suppose I have a tank with a fixed volume filled with air at the same pressure as the atmospheric pressure. When we add SF6 gas up to 0.2bar over pressure, what would then be the percentage of each gas (air and SF6) in the tank?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three numbers; what do you calculate from them?

Well, I consider T and V constant, hence ntot = n(air) + n(SF6) => ptot = p(atm) + p(SF6)
Hence %SF6 = (0.2/1.2)*100. Not sure this is correct.

You got it.

But I'd expect all the SF6 will pool on the bottom of the tank.

1. What is the percentage of gas in my tank?

The percentage of gas in your tank is the amount of gas in your tank compared to the total capacity of your tank, expressed as a percentage. It is important to know this percentage in order to determine how much fuel you have left and when you need to refuel.

2. How do you calculate the percentage of gas in a tank?

To calculate the percentage of gas in a tank, you need to know the total capacity of the tank and the current amount of gas in the tank. Then, divide the current amount of gas by the total capacity and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

3. Why is it important to monitor the percentage of gas in your tank?

Monitoring the percentage of gas in your tank is important because it allows you to plan your trips and stops for refueling. If you know how much gas is left in your tank, you can avoid running out of gas in the middle of your journey.

4. How often should I check the percentage of gas in my tank?

It is recommended to check the percentage of gas in your tank before starting a long journey or when your gas light comes on. It is also a good idea to check it regularly to ensure you have enough fuel for your daily needs.

5. Can the percentage of gas in a tank affect my vehicle's performance?

Yes, the percentage of gas in a tank can affect your vehicle's performance. When the percentage of gas is low, your vehicle may not have enough fuel to function properly, resulting in decreased performance and potentially causing damage to the engine.