1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percentage of NH3?

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1
    Percentage of NH3???

Recently I've done an experiment and we are required to determine the percentage NH3 in the complex by mass.

I had no problem doing the experiment but stuck in the calculation part

Really hope someone can help me here!!! >.<

The experiment was done by titration, the complex we used is... (CuSO4*5H2O + H2O + NH3 + ethanol + acetone) - sorry I don't know how I should call this @.@ But those are the things we used to make that complex...

First I dissolved 0.2g of the complex with 25mL H2O, & 31.05mL of standardized 0.1M HCl was used to titrate it. Then we are required to find "%NH3"......

Can someone please kindly tell me (at least the formula that I need to use) to calculate the percentage NH3???? :'(

Thanks so much!!! :shy:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My best guess is that your complex is tetrammine copper(II) sulfate - [Cu(NH3)4]SO4.H2O

Was it deep blue in color? Did you have to make the crystals by evaporation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?