Calculating Percentage Uncertainty in Gradients

In summary, the question asks for the percentage uncertainty in the gradient of two intersecting lines, with given gradients of 0.503 and 0.167. The formula to calculate this is (0.503-0.167)/0.503, multiplied by 100%.
gii
Hello

I was given following homework question.

2 gradients are given.
gradient1 of the line is 0.503
gradient2 of the line intersecting the line above is 0.167.
Find out the percentage uncertainty in the gradient.

i thought you have to do (0.503-0.167)/0.503
is that right?Please help
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas if I'm right?

Welcome to Physics Forums.

gii said:
Hello

I was given following homework question.

2 gradients are given.
gradient1 of the line is 0.503
gradient2 of the line intersecting the line above is 0.167.
Find out the percentage uncertainty in the gradient.

is that right?

Please help
thanks in advance
I don't understand what the problem is asking from your description. Are there two intersecting lines, with gradients 0.503 and 0.167? Are these gradients given, or are you calculating them somehow?

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.I don't understand what the problem is asking from your description. Are there two intersecting lines, with gradients 0.503 and 0.167? Are these gradients given, or are you calculating them somehow?

yes there are 2 intersecting lines with one line of best fit having the gradient 0.503 and the other line is the worst straight line having the gradient 0.167

the gradients are given

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

gii said:
is that right?

Multiply that calculation by 100% (to get a percentage), and then it looks right.

What is percentage uncertainty?

Percentage uncertainty is a measure of the potential error or variability in a measurement or calculation. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

How is percentage uncertainty calculated?

Percentage uncertainty is calculated by dividing the uncertainty or error in a measurement or calculation by the measured value, and then multiplying by 100 to express it as a percentage.

Why is percentage uncertainty important in scientific measurements?

Percentage uncertainty is important because it helps to determine the reliability and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. It also allows scientists to compare the uncertainty of different measurements and evaluate the overall quality of their data.

What factors can contribute to percentage uncertainty?

There are several factors that can contribute to percentage uncertainty, including the precision of the measuring instrument, human error, and the inherent variability of the system being measured.

How can percentage uncertainty be reduced?

Percentage uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, minimizing human error, and increasing the number of measurements taken. It can also be reduced by improving the experimental design and reducing sources of variability in the system being measured.