Calculating Percentage Uncertainty for Measured Lengths

• Thread starter calculator20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the largest percentage uncertainty is found in option B, a-b, as the error is 100% due to the subtraction of two values with a small absolute uncertainty. This is in contrast to the other options, where the error is only 4% due to the multiplication or division of values with a larger absolute uncertainty. It is important to consider absolute uncertainties and use the correct calculation method when determining percentage uncertainties.
calculator20
Two lengths, a and b, are measured to be 51+/-1cm and 49+/-1cm respectively. In which of the following is the percentage uncertainty the largest?

A a+b
B a-b
C a x b
D a/b

The answer should be b but I can't figure out why. I know that for / and x you add the percentage errors so if the error is approx 2% then each of C and D have errors of 4% of their answers ie

C 51 x 49 = 2499 and 4% is ~100
D 51/49 = 1 and 4 % is 0.04

I think that for + and - you add absolute uncertainties ie 0,02 + 0.02 = 0.04 ie

A 51 + 49 = 100 and 100 x 0.04 = 4
B 51 - 49 = 2 and 2 x 0.04 = 0.08

But that makes C the largest error.

What am I missing here? It's supposed to be multiple choice, non calculator so I'm probably overthinking it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't see how absolute uncertainties of 1 each can add up to 0.04 ...

calculator20 said:
100 is the absolute error. You are only interested in percentage errors, so stop the calculation at 4%.
BvU said:
Don't see how absolute uncertainties of 1 each can add up to 0.04 ...
I'm guessing calculator20 is considering +/-1 as a range of 2.

I think that for + and - you add absolute uncertainties ie 0,02 + 0.02 = 0.04
@calc: 0.02 is the relative error! You want the absolute error here !

for error read uncertainty - saves confusion

Last edited:
calculator20 said:
Two lengths, a and b, are measured to be 51+/-1cm and 49+/-1cm respectively. In which of the following is the percentage uncertainty the largest?

A a+b
Then a+ b= 100 +/- 2 cm (NOT 4) so the percentage error is 2/100= 2%

B a-b
a- b= 2+/- 2 cm so the percentage error is 2/2= 100%

C a x b

D a/b
The percentage errors for a and b separately are 1/51= 0.0196 or about 2% and 1/49= 0.02041 or about 2% so the percentage errors of a x b and a/b are 2+ 2= 4%

The answer should be b but I can't figure out why. I know that for / and x you add the percentage errors so if the error is approx 2% then each of C and D have errors of 4% of their answers ie

D 51/49 = 1 and 4 % is 0.04

I think that for + and - you add absolute uncertainties ie 0,02 + 0.02 = 0.04 ie

A 51 + 49 = 100 and 100 x 0.04 = 4
B 51 - 49 = 2 and 2 x 0.04 = 0.08

But that makes C the largest error.

What am I missing here? It's supposed to be multiple choice, non calculator so I'm probably overthinking it?

@Ivy: I thought we wanted calc to learn something, not have the answers dumped in his lap !

All in good spirit, of course...

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I'd gone with fractions rather than whole values. I can see where things went wrong now. Many thanks!

What is percentage uncertainty?

Percentage uncertainty is a measure of the amount of error or imprecision in a measurement. It is expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

How is percentage uncertainty calculated?

Percentage uncertainty is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty (the smallest possible value that a measurement could be) by the measured value, and then multiplying by 100.

Why is percentage uncertainty important in scientific measurements?

Percentage uncertainty is important because it allows us to understand the level of precision and accuracy in our measurements. It also helps us to compare different measurements and determine which is more reliable.

How can percentage uncertainty be reduced?

Percentage uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements and calculating an average, and minimizing sources of error such as human error or external factors.

What is the difference between percentage uncertainty and absolute uncertainty?

Percentage uncertainty is a relative measure, expressed as a percentage, while absolute uncertainty is an absolute measure, expressed in the same units as the measured value. Percentage uncertainty is often used to compare the precision of different measurements, while absolute uncertainty is used to determine the range of possible values within which the true value is likely to fall.