1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percentile Question

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do to solve this problem:

The weight of people in a certain pacific island is normally distributed with a mean of 175 lb and a standard deviation of 33 lb. They want to design a one person canoe that will be able to serve 85% of the island's people. What should be the carrying capacity of the canoe?

Ok I know I wouldn't use a CI to solve this problem, but I am not sure what the exact setup would be. I have a hunch that I would use the percentiles where the Z critical value would be 1.04 using Z 15.

Where do I go from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    Use the percent given to find the corresponding z score. You have population mean & standard deviation, as well as the z score, so you can solve for the unknown

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    Ok...

[tex]z= \frac{(x-\mu)}{\sigma}[/tex]

[tex]1.04= \frac{(x- 175)}{33}[/tex]

x = 209.32

This doesn't sound right to me at all with the s.d. and mean?

5. Aug 29, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks right to me because if you were to go only one standard deviation up (z = 1), the x score would be 175 (M) + 33 (1 standard dev) = 208. At the 85th percentile, your z score (1.04) is just a little bit higher than that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook