Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Percentile Rank

  1. May 5, 2017 #1
    Hello! I am a bit confused about the percentile rank. Is the value of the percentile a lower or upper bound for your score. What I mean is, if you are let's say 95 percentile out of 100 people, does it means that there is a chance you scored the highest score with other 5 people, or there are 5 people who STRICTLY scored higher than you? Thank you!
     
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

    jedishrfu

    Staff: Mentor

    Perhaps this will answer it:

    http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=1&n=1

     
  4. May 5, 2017 #3
    Thank you for this, but I am still confused. My question is: If the top 3 students have the same score on an exam (and everyone else has less) and I am one of these 3 students, am I in the 97 percentile or 100 percentile?
     
  5. May 5, 2017 #4

    jedishrfu

    Staff: Mentor

    If the top 3 students out of 100 students had a tie score then I think they are in the 97th percentile meaning 97 students are below them in score.

    I don't think you could ever be in the 100th percentile because that would mean out of 100 students 0 students would be in it.
     
  6. May 5, 2017 #5

    mfb

    User Avatar
    2016 Award

    Staff: Mentor

    If you round to integers, you could be. If you are the best out of 200 students, then 99.5 out of 100 students are worse than you, that could be rounded to 100.
     
  7. May 5, 2017 #6
    So if you are in the 97 percentile you did better than 97 percent of the test takers, but you don't know what u did compared to the other 3 percent, right? (you don't know if you had the same score as them or lower)
     
  8. May 5, 2017 #7

    jedishrfu

    Staff: Mentor

    That's right, unless one of them says to you I'm in the 98th percentile.
     
  9. May 18, 2017 #8
    Percentile scores are not upward roundable -- 99.9th percentile means the score has an abundancy of no more than 1 in 1000 -- 98.9th percentile is part of the 98th percentile -- etc..
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted