Perception of Colors: Comparing sRGB Triples & Metrics

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perception
In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of colors in terms of human perception, specifically the sensitivity to differences in lightness versus hue or saturation. The individual is looking for information or metrics that can measure color difference accurately, with examples such as Euclidean distance and the sensitivity curves of color receptors in humans. The discussion also touches on the concept of color constancy and the difference between 3-color and 4-color devices. The individual also mentions the possibility of using the concept of color difference as a metric and plans to further research on it.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm interested in comparing colors (represented as sRGB triples) in terms of human perception. I vaguely recall something about eyes being more sensitive to differences in lightness than to differences in hue or saturation. Does anyone have any information on this?

Better yet, any good metrics for color difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. That's something, but not really what I'm looking for. Those algorithms take pictures as inputs and attempt to determine what color each point represents in the context of the picture. I'm looking for something that takes two colors and gives a distance.

For example, d(A, B) could be the Euclidean distance
sqrt((A.red - B.red)^2 + (A.green - B.green)^2 + (A.blue - B.blue)^2)
but I'm looking for something that more closely reflects human perception.

For humans there are 3 and sometimes 4 types of color receptors, that have sensitivity curves to certain colors, but it's not quite true red, blue, and green (for the 3 receptor people). There is also a set of shades of grey receptors which work better in low light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#Color_perception

Jeff Reid said:
For humans there are 3 and sometimes 4 types of color receptors, that have sensitivity curves to certain colors, but it's not quite true red, blue, and green (for the 3 receptor people).

True. But I'm working with 3-color devices, so the sensitivities to any wavelengths beyond those three are actually irrelevant to me. :)

Jeff Reid said:

I just found
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference
which may be what I want. Let me read it and ask the knowledgeables here any questions I may have, :D

1. What is the purpose of comparing sRGB triples and metrics in the perception of colors?

The purpose of comparing sRGB triples and metrics is to understand the differences in how humans perceive colors and how they are represented digitally. This can help in creating more accurate and consistent color displays across different devices.

2. How do sRGB triples and metrics differ in representing colors?

sRGB triples refer to the three numbers (red, green, and blue) that make up a specific color, while metrics refer to the mathematical calculations used to convert these numbers into a color display. SRGB triples are used to define the color, while metrics are used to display the color.

3. What factors can affect the perception of colors?

There are several factors that can affect the perception of colors, including lighting, contrast, color blindness, and individual differences in color perception. The context in which a color is viewed can also play a role in how it is perceived.

4. How does the human eye perceive colors?

The human eye contains cells called cones that are responsible for color perception. There are three types of cones, each of which responds to different wavelengths of light (red, green, and blue). The brain combines the signals from these cones to create our perception of colors.

5. What is the significance of sRGB in color perception?

sRGB (standard Red Green Blue) is the standard color space used for digital displays, and it is designed to closely match the color perception of the human eye. This makes it a useful tool for comparing and representing colors accurately across different devices and platforms.