1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perception of colors

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm interested in comparing colors (represented as sRGB triples) in terms of human perception. I vaguely recall something about eyes being more sensitive to differences in lightness than to differences in hue or saturation. Does anyone have any information on this?

Better yet, any good metrics for color difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm. That's something, but not really what I'm looking for. Those algorithms take pictures as inputs and attempt to determine what color each point represents in the context of the picture. I'm looking for something that takes two colors and gives a distance.

For example, d(A, B) could be the Euclidean distance
    sqrt((A.red - B.red)^2 + (A.green - B.green)^2 + (A.blue - B.blue)^2)
    but I'm looking for something that more closely reflects human perception.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

For humans there are 3 and sometimes 4 types of color receptors, that have sensitivity curves to certain colors, but it's not quite true red, blue, and green (for the 3 receptor people). There is also a set of shades of grey receptors which work better in low light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#Color_perception

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True. But I'm working with 3-color devices, so the sensitivities to any wavelengths beyond those three are actually irrelevant to me. :)

I just found
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference
    which may be what I want. Let me read it and ask the knowledgeables here any questions I may have, :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook