Perfect Circle?

• Thread starter ranyart
  • Start date

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The reason a perfect circle can never be drawn is because it would be a GIGAGON which is like a STOP sign (OCTAGON) with a billion sides. Each time you touch the pen to the paper you are drawing a straight line. A CURVE can not be drawn because it is constantly changing direction, so the least amount of width will make that portion of the curve a straight line. Ever notice when you enlarge a CURVE printed by any printer large enough you can see the gradiation of straight lines.
What reason do you have for asserting that we can only draw straight lines or combinations of straight lines? I would think that there is no reason we cannot alter "left" and "right" motion at different rates to get a curve.

What I meant WAS>>>>>>>>>>>>>

any point of any pen or pencil no matter HOW FINE leaves a straight line so no matter how carefully you MOVE around the curve you are still making a bunch of dotts that are not curved and curving them into a circular shape..........you cant get away from it because a perfect circle is impossible.

any point of any pen or pencil no matter HOW FINE leaves a straight line so no matter how carefully you MOVE around the curve you are still making a bunch of dotts that are not curved and curving them into a circular shape..........you cant get away from it because a perfect circle is impossible.
nothing IS perfect.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I would say rather, that because we are "making a bunch of dots", a pen or pencil, no matter how fine, cannot make a straight line! A straight line is just as impossible as a circle.

what do you guys mean nobody can draw a perfect circle? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you are RIGHT that PERFETION is impossible because a STRAIGHT without any variance would mean that it would have to be EXACTLY the same hight and width Which AGAIN is an impossiblity.......but the THEORETICAL application of a straight line CAN be drawn. The THEOETICAL application of a CURVE can NOT because it is ALWAYS changing direction so it can not even IMAGINED....................I hope you can sort of infer my meaning. Although I can be WRONG about this. I THINK it is theoretically impossible to have ANY DRAWING of a perfect circle but NOT theoretically impossible to have a drawing of a perfect straight line segment. BUT PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to ACTUALLY DRAW.......................however I certainly can be WRONG about this! I just hope you can sort of get what i am TRYING to say. YOU MAY BE RIGHT and I may be the one who is WRONG.

That was awesome dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads