Understanding Perfect Differentials

In summary, the student is struggling with a question on finding the perfect differential and is unsure why their attempt at solving it is not working. They have noticed that cancelling the denominator allows the terms to equal each other, but they are unsure if this was a trick question. They plan to speak with their professor for clarification.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

Hi, I have an exam tomorrow and I'm trying to do the following question which I've almost solved:

Find the perfect differential of the following:

[(x² + 2xy) / (x + y)² ]dx - [x² / (x + y)² ]dy

I differentiated the first term with respect to 'y' and then the second term with respect to x, equated them but they weren't the same, what could I be doing wrong?

The problem is I can't seem to get both terms to equal each other unless i cancel the denominator..but why can't i get them to equal each other if i differentiate with the denominators too? Should be the same...?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I get that they are not equal either.

quasar987 said:
I get that they are not equal either.

If I were to cancel the denominator and then differentiate they actually equal each other. I'm guessing this question was meant to trick me into cancelling it then?

I don't think so. Go see your prof about this.

What does "Find the perfect differential of the following" mean?

I know what determining whether a differential is a perfect differential or not means but this seems to imply that there is some perfect differential associated with this differential. My first guess my be to change it in someway so that this becomes a perfect differential- for example, multiplying the entire expression by [itex](x+ y)^2[/itex] makes it a perfect differential- but that is certainly not unique so "the" perfect differential would not apply.

1. What is a perfect differential?

A perfect differential is a term used in mathematics and physics to describe a differential equation that has a unique solution for every set of initial conditions. This means that for any given starting point, there is only one possible outcome or solution.

2. How is a perfect differential different from a regular differential equation?

A regular differential equation can have multiple solutions for a given set of initial conditions, while a perfect differential has only one unique solution. Additionally, perfect differentials typically have simpler and more elegant solutions compared to regular differentials.

3. What are some real-world applications of perfect differentials?

Perfect differentials are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used in modeling and predicting complex systems, such as in the analysis of fluid flow, electrical circuits, and population dynamics.

4. Can perfect differentials be solved analytically?

Yes, perfect differentials can be solved analytically using mathematical methods such as integration, differentiation, and algebraic manipulation. This is one of the key advantages of perfect differentials, as their solutions can often be obtained without the need for numerical approximations.

5. Are there any limitations to perfect differentials?

While perfect differentials have many useful applications, they are not applicable to all systems. In some cases, the assumptions and simplifications made to create a perfect differential may not accurately reflect the real-world system. Additionally, perfect differential equations can become more complicated when applied to higher dimensions or non-linear systems.