Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Perfect inelastic collison

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 6 kg object moving with a speed of 9.9 m/s collides with a 19 kg object moving with a velocity of 7.2 m/s in a direction 24* from the initial direction of motion of the 6 kg object. What is speed of the two objects after the collision if they remain stuck together?

2. Relevant equations

Px = m1v1icos[tex]\theta[/tex]+m2v2icos[tex]\theta[/tex] = m1v1fcos[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2fcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Py = m1v1isin[tex]\theta[/tex]+m2v2isin[tex]\theta[/tex] = m1v1fsin[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2fsin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

Edit I realized my original way was faulty in its logic.

So what I did was I began by finding the initial and final momenta components in both the x and y directions for the two particles. Being that they stick together their final velocity ought to be the same.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Pxi = m1v1cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

=184.37302

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Pyi = m1v1sin[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

=55.641573

As I mentioned their final velocity should be equal since they are stuck together. Equating my initial momenta to my final momenta in the x direction I get the following:

Vf = [tex]\frac{(m1v1cos\theta + m2v2cos\theta}{(m1+m2)cos\theta}[/tex]

=8.072856 m/s

When I checked it using the momenta of the y direction I come to a different value for the final velocity which doesn't make sense so I know I made a mistake somewhere... Thanks in advance.

Joe

Edit: I tried a new way, but

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks Doc Al, are you refering to the first way I solved the problem or refering to this edited version? The first way did not work, so thats why I tried a new method. Thanks for all your help in all of my posts.

Joe

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Actually, your first attempt was the correct solution. How do you know the answer you got is wrong?

6. Jun 24, 2010 #5

Doc Al

I was referring to your original post, which looked fine to me. (I haven't looked at your revision.)

7. Jun 24, 2010 #6
    It is an online homework module, and this is not the first question that I have been correct about and it kicked back my answer as incorrect...Thanks for your assistance.

Joe

8. Jun 24, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Thought so. Could be you're entering too many significant figures.

9. Jun 24, 2010 #8
    Do you know the direction (angle) after collision?

10. Jun 24, 2010 #9

Doc Al

Why would that matter?

11. Jun 24, 2010 #10
    I mean after collision, two objects stuck together. So velocities are the same but problem didn't mention direction is angle theta. I think angles are not the same before and after collision.

12. Jun 25, 2010 #11

Doc Al

True, but the direction of the final velocity doesn't matter for this problem. All they ask for is the speed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook