Finding a Value of c to Make RHS a Perfect Square of x

In summary, there is a value of c that makes the right hand side a perfect square of a function of x if and only if b<1.
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

[tex]\left(\frac{\dot{x}}{a}\right)^2 = K\left[b\frac{a}{x} + c\left(\frac{a}{x}\right)^2 + (1-b-c)\right][/tex]

Show that, for [itex]b<1[/itex], there is a value of [itex]c[/itex] that makes the right hand side a perfect square of a function of x.

2. The attempt at a solution
I guess that a perfect square is a square of a function that can be written as

[tex](x \pm d)^2 = x^2 \pm 2xd + d^2[/tex]

but I have not been successful in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the right general idea, but for your equation you want something like ((a/x) + d)^2.

If you have an expression like ax^2 + bx + c and it is a perfect square, what is special about the two roots of the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0? What condition can you use to decide what kind of roots a quadratic equation has?

If [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] is a perfect square, then [itex]b=2 \sqrt{ac}[/itex] and the roots of [itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex] is a double root [itex]x_{1,2}=-\sqrt{c/a}[/itex]. I'm not sure what you mean with the conditions..

First let u= a/x. Now, what value of c makes cu2+ bu+ 1-b-c a perfect square? Also recall that Ax2+Bx+ C is a perfect square if and only if B2-4AC= 0. However, it seems to me that b would have to be less than or equal to 1/2 for this to be true, not just less than 1.

and if [itex]b^2=4ac[/itex] then [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] is a perfect square. So you know the condition already.

Look again at your quadratic (shame it uses the same letters as those in the general form of the quadratic you have given)

In your quadratic what is equivalent to 'x' 'a', 'b', 'c' in the general form?

HallsofIvy said:
Now, what value of c makes cu2+ bu+ 1-b-c a perfect square?

Then

[tex]c = \frac{b-1 \pm \sqrt{1-2b}}{2}[/tex]

but that's two values. I think I also want to have [itex]-1 \leq c \leq 1[/itex] for my problem.

Ok, this is correct. But now I need to find an exact solution for [itex]x(t)[/itex] in this case. Help..? =)

Now write that right hand side as a perfect square, take the square root of both sides and solve the resulting separable differential equation.

Then I get, using [itex]u=a/x[/itex],

[tex]u=\sqrt{\frac{1-b-c}{c}} \left[ \frac{(exp[K(1-b-c)^{1/4}t]+1)^2}{(exp[K(1-b-c)^{1/4}t]-1)^2} - 1 \right][/tex]

and when I then try to solve for x and show that this is a solution I get these infinite calculations so this doesn't seem right.

1. What does it mean to find a value of c to make the RHS a perfect square of x?

When we say that the right-hand side (RHS) is a perfect square of x, it means that the RHS can be written as the square of a single term involving x. For example, if the RHS is 4x^2, then x^2 is the perfect square of x.

2. Why is it important to find a value of c to make the RHS a perfect square of x?

Finding a value of c to make the RHS a perfect square of x is important because it allows us to simplify and solve equations more easily. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different variables in an equation.

3. How do you find the value of c to make the RHS a perfect square of x?

To find the value of c, we use the process of completing the square. This involves adding and subtracting a constant term to both sides of the equation until the RHS becomes a perfect square. The value of c is then the square of half the coefficient of x.

4. Can there be more than one value of c that makes the RHS a perfect square of x?

Yes, there can be more than one value of c that makes the RHS a perfect square of x. This is because there are multiple ways to complete the square and make the RHS a perfect square. However, all of these values of c will result in the same solution to the equation.

5. What happens if there is no value of c that makes the RHS a perfect square of x?

If there is no value of c that makes the RHS a perfect square of x, then the equation cannot be solved using the method of completing the square. In this case, we may need to use a different method, such as the quadratic formula, to solve the equation.