Is \sqrt{59.29} a perfect square?Perfect Square: Whole vs Decimals

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, a perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the square of an integer. This means that its square root has no decimal expansion. Even if the result of a root is a rational number, the number inside the root must still be the square of a rational, meaning there are two perfect squares involved. However, if the number inside the root is not a perfect square, the result will be a decimal.
Holocene
"Perfect" square?

Is a perfect square only "perfect" if the root is a whole number? Or does the term just dictate that decimals must eventually terminate?

For instance:

[tex]\displaystyle{\sqrt{59.29} = 7.7}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A number always has a "decimal expansion". Integers just happen to have all 0s after the decimal point! A "perfect square" is the square of an integer.

52.29 is NOT a perfect square.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though 5229 is a perfect square. If you have a rational number as the result of a root, then the thing inside the root is the square of a rational (in this case, (77/10)^2 = 5229/100), so there are two perfect squares involved somewhere. Other than these musings, all the replies above are, of course, right.

Dodo said:
Though 5229 is a perfect square. If you have a rational number as the result of a root, then the thing inside the root is the square of a rational (in this case, (77/10)^2 = 5229/100), so there are two perfect squares involved somewhere. Other than these musings, all the replies above are, of course, right.
My calculator is under the impression that 772= 5929, not 5229.

Arrgh! Sorry, I just magnified your typo. :D

Ooops! The original post does say "59.29", not "52.29" so you were right and I was wrong. I hate when that happens!

1. Is 59.29 a whole number?

No, 59.29 is not a whole number. It is a decimal number.

2. What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it is equal to 3 x 3.

3. Is 59.29 a perfect square?

No, 59.29 is not a perfect square. It cannot be expressed as the product of two equal integers.

4. Can a decimal number be a perfect square?

Yes, a decimal number can be a perfect square. However, it must have a rational square root. In other words, the decimal must terminate or repeat in order for it to be considered a perfect square.

5. How do I know if a decimal number is a perfect square?

To determine if a decimal number is a perfect square, you can try to find its square root. If the square root is a rational number, then the decimal is a perfect square. If the square root is an irrational number, then the decimal is not a perfect square.