Perfecting My Proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity

In summary: Overall, your proof is on the right track but could benefit from including more details and explanations of the steps taken. In summary, the conversation discusses the submission of tests and feedback received. The topic then shifts to proving the Generalized Vandermonde's Identity without using algebra or induction. The provided proof is graded 2/5 and could be improved by including more details and explanations of the selection process. The proof involves choosing elements from a set and creating a set with all possible combinations of selections, which is equivalent to the RHS.
scherz0
My tests are submitted and marked anonymously. I got a 2/5 on the following, but the grader wrote no feedback besides that more detail was required. What details could I have added? How could I perfect my proof?

Prove Generalized Vandermonde's Identity, solely using a story proof or double counting. DON'T prove using algebra or induction — if you do, you earn zero marks.

$\sum\limits_{k_1+\cdots +k_p = m} {n_1\choose k_1} {n_2\choose k_2} \cdots {n_p\choose k_p} = { n_1+\dots +n_p \choose m }.$

Beneath is my proof graded 2/5.

I start by clarifying that the summation ranges over all lists of NONnegative integers $(k_1,k_2,\dots,k_p)$ for which $k_1 + \dots + k_p = m$. These $k_i$ integers are NONnegative, because this summation's addend or argument contains $\binom{n_i}{k_i}$.

On the LHS, you choose $k_1$ elements out of a first set of $n_1$ elements; then $k_2$ out of another set of $n_2$ elements, and so on, through $p$ such sets — until you've chosen a total of $m$ elements from the $p$ sets.

Thus, on the LHS, you are choosing $m$ elements out of $n_1+\dots +n_p$, which is exactly the RHS. Q.E.D.

Physics news on Phys.org
To perfect your proof, you could have included a description of what is actually happening when you make the selections on the LHS. For instance, you could have said that when you choose $k_1$ elements out of a first set of $n_1$ elements, then $k_2$ out of another set of $n_2$ elements, and so on, through $p$ such sets, you are creating a set of $m$ elements with all possible combinations of selections. This set of $m$ elements is then the same as the RHS, which is choosing $m$ elements from $n_1+\dots +n_p$. Additionally, you could have provided an example of the selection process for more clarification.

1. What is the Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

The Generalized Vandermonde's Identity is a mathematical formula that relates the coefficients of a polynomial to the roots of the polynomial. It is commonly used in algebra and combinatorics.

2. Why is it important to perfect my proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

Perfecting your proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity is important because it is a fundamental and widely used mathematical concept. Having a solid and well-supported proof ensures the validity and reliability of this identity.

3. What are some common mistakes made when proving Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

Some common mistakes when proving Generalized Vandermonde's Identity include incorrect use of algebraic manipulations, incorrect assumptions about the roots of the polynomial, and overlooking special cases or edge cases.

4. How can I improve my proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

To improve your proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity, it is important to carefully review and analyze each step of the proof, seek feedback from peers or experts in the field, and double-check all assumptions and calculations.

5. Can Generalized Vandermonde's Identity be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, Generalized Vandermonde's Identity has various applications in mathematics, including in combinatorics, number theory, and algebraic geometry. It is also used in fields such as computer science, physics, and statistics.