Perfectly inelastic collision in a spring situation?

In summary, the problem involves a perfectly inelastic collision between a rifle bullet and a block attached to a coil spring. The impact compresses the spring by 15.0 cm and the force required to compress the spring by 0.250 cm is 0.750 N. To find the magnitude of the block's velocity just after impact, we can use the equation (m_a)(v_a,1) + (m_b)(v_b,1) = (m_a + m_b)(v_2). However, this resulted in an incorrect answer and it was recognized that the correct equation to use is (1/2)(m_a + m_b)(v_2)^2. Using this equation, the initial speed
erik-the-red
Question

A rifle bullet with mass 8.00 g strikes and embeds itself in a block with mass 0.992 kg that rests on a frictionless, horizontal surface and is attached to a coil spring. The impact compresses the spring 15.0 cm. Calibration of the spring shows that a force of 0.750 N is required to compress the spring 0.250 cm.

1. Find the magnitude of the block's velocity just after impact.

2. What was the initial speed of the bullet?

My entire strategy for solving this problem is that it is a perfectly inelastic collision. I reason this because the bullet embeds itself in the block, even though this is in a spring situation.

So, [tex](m_a)(v_a,1) + (m_b)(v_b,1) = (m_a + m_b)(v_2)[/tex].

Plugging in the givens results in [tex](.008)(v_a,1) = v_2[/tex].

Then, I considered the energies of the system as a whole. Spring force is conservative.

I reason that at the point at which the spring is at maximum compression of .15 m, the final velocity of the block is zero. So,

[tex](1/2)(m_a)(v_a,1)^2 = (1/2)(300)(.15)^2[/tex]

I get 300 as the spring constant because [tex]F=kx[/tex].

Solving for [tex]v_a,1[/tex], I got 29.0 m/s. I then multiplied 29.0 by .008 to get the velocity of the system, [tex]v_2[/tex].

But, my answer was not correct.

Was I wrong to use the perfectly inelastic collision equation?

Attachments

• figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 801
Physics news on Phys.org
I recognized my initial error. I should have done [tex](1/2)(m_a + m_b)(v_2)^2[/tex].

Your approach of using the perfectly inelastic collision equation is correct. However, there may be some errors in your calculations. Here are some suggestions to help you solve this problem:

1. Make sure you are using the correct units for all values. In this case, the masses should be in kilograms and the distances in meters.

2. Double check your substitution of values in the equations. For example, in your calculation for the final velocity of the block, you have used a mass of 300 instead of 0.992 kg.

3. In your equation for the conservation of energy, make sure you are using the correct value for the spring constant. In this case, it should be 300 N/m, not 300.

4. Lastly, when solving for the velocity of the system, make sure you are using the correct values in the equation. In this case, it should be (0.008)(v_a,1) = v_2, not (0.008)(v_a,1) = 29.0.

By following these suggestions, you should be able to correctly solve for the magnitude of the block's velocity and the initial speed of the bullet in this perfectly inelastic collision in a spring situation.

What is a perfectly inelastic collision in a spring situation?

A perfectly inelastic collision in a spring situation occurs when two objects collide and stick together, losing all of their kinetic energy and becoming one object. This typically happens when a spring is compressed between the two objects.

What is the difference between a perfectly inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the two objects stick together and move with a common velocity after the collision. In an elastic collision, the two objects bounce off each other and maintain their individual velocities.

What factors affect the amount of energy lost in a perfectly inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in a perfectly inelastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The larger the masses and the lower the velocities, the more energy will be lost.

What is the equation for calculating the final velocity in a perfectly inelastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocity in a perfectly inelastic collision is v = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the two objects.

How does a perfectly inelastic collision in a spring situation differ from a real-life situation?

In a real-life situation, there will always be some energy lost due to external factors such as friction and air resistance. This means that a perfectly inelastic collision in a spring situation is an idealized scenario and may not accurately represent real-life collisions.