Perfectly Inelastic Collision

I think I've got it now.In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a perfectly inelastic collision between two identical cars at an intersection. The final velocity of the combined objects is calculated using the formula mv + Mv = (M+m)V, resulting in a final speed of 8.4 m/s. The conversation also includes a tip on using vectors to solve the problem.
JinSu
This is probably easy for most people, but I can't quiet seem to understand it.

Two automobiles have a perfectly inelastic collision. The automobiles, which are identical models except for the color and which contain only drivers of identical masses, meet at an intersection. Each was moving with speed 12m/s, one coming from the south, the other from the east. What is the velocity of the final composite object?

It was an old homework problem, just studying for my final exam and I am trying to understand it. The answer set from my prefessor says that the final speed is (6^2+6^2)^(1/2) = 8.4 m/s. I am not sure why its half the speed of the original... I know the formula is mv + Mv = (M+m)V. Any tips on why/how this problem is solved would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have this

[tex] m \vec{v}_{1} + m \vec{v}_{2} = (m + m) \vec{v}_{both} [/tex]

[tex] m \vec{v}_{1} + m \vec{v}_{2} = 2m \vec{v}_{both} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\vec{v}_{1}}{2} + \frac{\vec{v}_{2}}{2} = \vec{v}_{both} [/tex]

then you have

[tex] \frac{-12 \vec{i}}{2} + \frac{12 \vec{j}}{2} = \vec{v}_{both} [/tex]

Thus

[tex] \sqrt{6^2 + 6^2} = | \vec{v}_{both} | [/tex]

Last edited:
JinSu said:

Two automobiles have a perfectly inelastic collision. The automobiles, which are identical models except for the color and which contain only drivers of identical masses, meet at an intersection. Each was moving with speed 12m/s, one coming from the south, the other from the east. What is the velocity of the final composite object?

It was an old homework problem, just studying for my final exam and I am trying to understand it. The answer set from my prefessor says that the final speed is (6^2+6^2)^(1/2) = 8.4 m/s. I am not sure why its half the speed of the original... I know the formula is mv + Mv = (M+m)V. Any tips on why/how this problem is solved would be appreciated. Thanks.
The momentum of the two cars is 12 m/s North and 12 m/s West. So the momentum is ((12m)^2 + (12m)^2)^1/2 = 2mv which can be written as ((6^2 x (2m)^2 + 6^2 x (2m)^2)^1/2 = 2mv

AM

JinSu said:

You can use the properties of momentum to calculate this, so you can use vectors for the individual components. So just look up :biggrin:

Ah thanks, I see what I did wrong. Gosh, such a silly algebra mistake.

1. What is a perfectly inelastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after colliding and move with a common velocity. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved, as some of the energy is lost due to the objects sticking together.

2. How is a perfectly inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, two objects bounce off each other and their kinetic energies are conserved. This means that the objects do not stick together and their velocities may change after the collision. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move with a common velocity, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the degree of inelasticity in a collision?

The degree of inelasticity in a collision can be affected by factors such as the materials and shapes of the objects involved, their velocities before the collision, and any external forces acting on the objects during the collision.

4. Why is the conservation of momentum still applicable in a perfectly inelastic collision?

Although kinetic energy is not conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision, momentum is still conserved. This is because the total mass and velocity of the objects before and after the collision remain the same, even though the objects may stick together and move with a common velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of perfectly inelastic collisions?

Some examples of perfectly inelastic collisions include a car crashing into a wall, two clay balls sticking together after colliding, or a bullet hitting a target and getting embedded in it. In these examples, some of the kinetic energy is lost as the objects stick together and move with a common velocity.