Perfectly Inelastic Ball Collision: Final Velocities of Both Balls

• Thread starter PnotConserved
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inelastic
In summary, when Ball 1 with a mass of 100 g and traveling at 10 m/s collides head-on with Ball 2 with a mass of 300 g and initially at rest, the final velocities of both balls will be 2.5 m/s if the collision is perfectly inelastic. However, if the conservation of energy is used, the final velocities will be 5 m/s. This is because kinetic energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision. The correct expression, as described in the book, is the square root of [(m+M)kd^2] / m^2, where k is a constant and d is the distance between the two balls.
PnotConserved
Ball 1, with a mass of 100 g and traveling at 10 m/s, collides head-on with Ball 2, which has a mass of 300 g and is initially at rest. What are the final velocities of each ball if the collision is perfectly inelastic?

We're suppose to be talking about Energy, but I figured I could use:

mv+mv (initial)=mv (final)

I got 2.5 m/s for both balls, because if the objects are inelastic they will be traveling at the same speed after collision and momentum is conserved.
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be correct.

but now I just tried to use conservation of Energy and got a different answer. I tried
1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2mv^2 (final for system)

I got both balls traveling at 5 m/s ??

PnotConserved said:
but now I just tried to use conservation of Energy and got a different answer. I tried
1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2mv^2 (final for system)

I got both balls traveling at 5 m/s ??

Kinetic energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision.

I tried the V' substitution before but was wrong.

The expression that the book describes it to be:
---> the square root of [(m+M)kd^2] / m^2

You might want to find out the kinetic energy of the balls before the collision, because you are talking about a change in energy.

1. What is a perfectly inelastic ball collision?

A perfectly inelastic ball collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide and stick together after impact, resulting in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system.

2. How is the final velocity of both balls calculated in a perfectly inelastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the final velocity of both balls can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)vf, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two balls, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the two balls, and vf is the final velocity of both balls after the collision.

3. What factors can affect the final velocities of both balls in a perfectly inelastic collision?

The final velocities of both balls in a perfectly inelastic collision can be affected by factors such as the masses and initial velocities of the two balls, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

4. Can the final velocities of both balls be larger than the initial velocities in a perfectly inelastic collision?

No, in a perfectly inelastic collision, the final velocities of both balls will always be less than or equal to the initial velocities. This is because some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision due to the two objects sticking together.

5. How is a perfectly inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is different from an elastic collision in that in an elastic collision, the two objects bounce off each other and retain their individual shapes and masses, while in a perfectly inelastic collision, the two objects stick together and become one combined mass.