Perfoming ANOVA test using orthogonal contrasts

In summary: If all the contrasts support the null hypothesis, then you fail to reject it.In summary, you can use orthogonal contrasts to test the null hypothesis that the means of treatments B, C, D, and E are equal. You can create 4 orthogonal contrasts and use them in an ANOVA to determine if there is a significant difference between any of the treatments.
bonfire09
I have to test treatments B,C,D and E where ##H_0:\mu_B=\mu_C=\mu_D=\mu_E## vs ## H_1: not H_0##. Use ##\alpha=0.05## given this problem.
1.png

Now ##\mu_A## is not included in the hypothesis so I am trying to figure out how to go about this problem. I was thinking of using orthogonal contrasts and this is what I came up with.
contrast.jpg

##C_1-C_4## are my 4 orthogonal contrasts (all pairwise) for the ##5## treatments. The part that confuses me is what to do with ##\mu_A## since it was never included in the null hypothesis? Also I'm guessing that I test C1-C4 to see if I can violate the null hypothesis but what if each of my contrasts support the null hypothesis? There should be a better way of doing this problem I think. I am not sure if I was to ask this question here, but since this deals with statistics I asked it here. Thanks.

Edit- I just noticed that my contrasts are not linear independent. I will have to come up with new ones.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that you need to use orthogonal contrasts in order to test your hypothesis. However, you don't need to include $\mu_A$ in your contrasts since it was not part of the null hypothesis.Instead, you should focus on contrasting the 4 treatments included in the null hypothesis: B, C, D, and E. You can create 4 orthogonal (linear independent) contrasts of the form:$C_1=\frac{B-C}{\sqrt{2}}$$C_2=\frac{B+C-D-E}{2}$$C_3=\frac{D-E}{\sqrt{2}}$$C_4=\frac{B+C+D+E}{4}$To test your hypothesis, you can then conduct an ANOVA with the 4 contrasts as your independent variables and a significance level of $\alpha=0.05$. If any of the contrasts show a statistically significant difference, then you can reject the null hypothesis.

1. What is an ANOVA test?

An ANOVA (Analysis of Variance) test is a statistical method used to compare the means of three or more groups. It determines whether there is a significant difference between the means of the groups and helps to identify which group or groups have significantly different means.

2. What are orthogonal contrasts?

Orthogonal contrasts are a set of linear combinations of group means that are statistically independent. They are used in ANOVA tests to compare specific groups or combinations of groups, rather than comparing all groups at once. This allows for a more focused analysis and can be helpful in understanding the patterns of differences between groups.

3. How do you perform an ANOVA test using orthogonal contrasts?

To perform an ANOVA test using orthogonal contrasts, you first need to determine the specific comparisons or contrasts you want to make between groups. You then calculate the contrast coefficients for each contrast and use them to create an orthogonal contrast matrix. This matrix is then used in the ANOVA test to compare the means of the groups based on the specified contrasts.

4. What is the purpose of using orthogonal contrasts in ANOVA tests?

The purpose of using orthogonal contrasts in ANOVA tests is to allow for a more targeted and meaningful analysis of the differences between groups. By using orthogonal contrasts, you can compare specific groups or combinations of groups, rather than comparing all groups at once. This can help to identify more subtle patterns of differences between groups and provide a more nuanced understanding of the data.

5. What are the assumptions of performing an ANOVA test using orthogonal contrasts?

The assumptions of performing an ANOVA test using orthogonal contrasts are similar to those of a regular ANOVA test. These include the assumption of independence between observations, normality of the data, and homogeneity of variances between groups. Additionally, the contrasts should be orthogonal, meaning they are statistically independent and do not overlap in their comparisons. Violation of these assumptions can affect the accuracy and interpretation of the ANOVA test results.