1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Performance between write policy

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I am really struggling for days with this problem. It is about computer architecture

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One difference between a write-through cache and a write-back cache can be in the time it takes to write. During the first cycle, we detect whether a hit will occur, and during the second (assuming a hit) we actually write the data. Let’s assume that 50% of the blocks are dirty for a write-back cache. For this question, assume that the write buffer for the write through will never stall the CPU (no penalty).

Assume a cache read hit takes 1 clock cycle, the cache miss penalty is 50 clock cycles, and a block write from the cache to main memory takes 50 clock cycles. Finally, assume the instruction cache miss rate is 0.5% and the data cache miss rate is 1%. Assuming that on average 26% and 9% of instructions in the workload are loads and stores, respectively, estimate the performance of a write-through cache with a two-cycle write versus a write-back cache with a two-cycle write.

2. Relevant equations
    I would like to know how get I get the CPI from these information.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know ow to start. I will appreciate any suggestions about this exercise.

Thank you
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted