Can Laptop GPU Performance Be Enhanced?

• Thread starter Ksum006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    performance
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of poor performance in programs due to inefficient utilization of laptop versions of GPUs. The solutions suggested include writing your own driver or tweaking the graphics card performance, but there are concerns about the safety and effectiveness of third-party programs. The conversation also mentions Nvidia's efforts to open up their processors for program usage through CUDA, but it may only support newer chips.
Ksum006
Hi all,

I have been thinking about an interesting concept.

I have the laptop version of the 7800go and I know that most programs don't support laptop versions of GPU and hence most programs use them inefficiently and this results in poor performance.

I have come up with a few solution to this problem.
- Write your own driver (out of my skill set)
- Tweak the graphics card performance through the operation window.

I'm sure the internet has a lot of 'magic' programs that claim to improve performance but instead add spyware and other malicious software.

But does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Its usually not the fault of the hardware at all. Most of the time you get better performance with an efficiently written driver.

Other than games, most programs do not utilize the graphical power of the processor. Nvidia is really pushing hard to open up its processors for program usage. GPU's are great at tasks that can be massively paralleled. Supposedly the new version of Photoshop will take advantage of Nvidia GPU's, though I do not know if it is just going to be newer desktop GPU's, or if it will include mobile and older cards and integrated chipsets as well.

If you want to write a program to take advantage of your GPU, Nvidia has released something called CUDA, a C interface for compiling GPU programs. I think it only supports newer chips.

I'm not sure if this helps...
Use at your own risk:
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9243

Last edited by a moderator:

What is performance enhancement?

Performance enhancement is the use of various techniques, strategies, and interventions to improve an individual's performance in a specific task or activity.

What are some examples of performance enhancement techniques?

Some examples of performance enhancement techniques include goal setting, visualization, mental rehearsal, positive self-talk, and biofeedback.

Is performance enhancement legal?

In most cases, performance enhancement techniques are legal. However, some performance-enhancing drugs or substances may be prohibited by sports organizations or competitions.

What are the potential risks of performance enhancement?

The potential risks of performance enhancement techniques vary depending on the specific method used. Some risks may include physical injury, psychological side effects, and potential negative impacts on overall health and well-being.

Can anyone benefit from performance enhancement?

Yes, anyone can benefit from performance enhancement techniques. These techniques can be applied to various areas of life, such as sports, academics, and career. However, it is important to consult with a professional and use these techniques in a safe and responsible manner.