Is understanding the significance of calculations important in physics research?

In summary, most working physicists don't understand what they're doing most of the time, and this can have undesirable consequences.
spaghetti3451
A few of my lecturers have told me that most working physicists, half of the time, don't even understand what they're doing. They work through the calculations but have no idea of the significance of what they're doing or why it's important.

Do you think this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh.

I am recalling what Feynman said about quantum mechanics. I don't have the exact quote at hand, but it was something along the lines of nobody understands quantum mechanics.

Seriously though, the situation you describe can exist, even be desirable, in some contexts. But in other contexts it cannot be tolerated.

Example: If you are performing a calibration procedure it is important that somebody, someplace, understands all the details of the process. They need to know how to tell when the process is being done correctly. And they need to know how to be aware that something is wrong with the process. Otherwise, when the process does not go as expected, then you get real problems. The example is the Hubble telescope. The calibration process had a problem. There was a corrective action taken, but this only masked the problem. The result was, the Hubble went to orbit with its mirrors badly out of calibration. One of the findings when this was investigated was that nobody knew how the entire process was supposed to be done and how each result was supposed to look. So warning signs were misinterpreted, and additional corrective action was taken that did not help and obscured the problem even more.

On the other hand, the person "tightening the bolts" does not always have to be the person who understands the big picture. Usually it is not an effective and efficient use of talent to have the theoretician in the lab tuning the detector. Probably Carlo can make better use of his time in other ways than by being the guy who installs the new vacuum pumps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Rubbia

Similarly, there are probably grad students doing data manipulations who don't fully understand the physics being tested. They know how to write a good computer program that extracts data from the lab. He does need to be given, and to understand, instructions on his task. He needs to know what to look for, what indicates a problem, what indicates incorrect results, and so on. So that grad student needs to know how to tell if the detector is out of calibration, for example.

failexam said:
A few of my lecturers have told me that most working physicists, half of the time, don't even understand what they're doing. They work through the calculations but have no idea of the significance of what they're doing or why it's important.

Do you think this is true?

I think the language is a bit harsh. Usually a working physicist should have a goal in mind.
Of course this means that you'll do quite a bit of wrong calculations or calculations that don't lead to useful/new results.
For example last year me and another student investigated whether we could see non-equilibrium effects on a lattice gas as suggested by our professor.
It turned out not to work (simulation and first approximation theoretical derivation) much different.
So even if you think there might something (non-trivial/interesting) happening in a system you'll have to check.

1. What is the purpose of performing research work?

The purpose of performing research work is to gather and analyze information in order to gain new knowledge, solve problems, and advance our understanding of the world. Research can also be used to test hypotheses, develop new theories, and inform decision-making processes.

2. What is the first step in performing research work?

The first step in performing research work is to identify a research question or problem that you want to investigate. This will guide your entire research process and help you focus your efforts. It is important to ensure that your research question is specific, relevant, and feasible.

3. What methods can be used to gather data for research work?

There are several methods that can be used to gather data for research work, including surveys, experiments, observations, interviews, and document analysis. The method chosen will depend on the research question, available resources, and the type of data needed.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy and credibility of research findings?

To ensure the accuracy and credibility of research findings, it is important to use reliable and valid data sources, employ appropriate research methods, and conduct rigorous data analysis. It is also crucial to critically evaluate the limitations and potential biases of the research and communicate them transparently.

5. How can research work have real-world impact?

Research work can have real-world impact by informing policy and decision-making processes, improving practices and procedures, and contributing to advancements in various fields. It is important for researchers to communicate their findings effectively to relevant stakeholders and the general public to maximize the impact of their work.