1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perhaps a simple derivative?

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the derivative of the function: q = sin ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex])

Answer: cos ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex]) ([itex]\frac{t+2}{2(t+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex])

2. Relevant equations

Chain Rule
    [itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] sin x = cos x

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] = cos ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex]) [itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] (t(t+1))[itex]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] = cos ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex]) (t(-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](t+1)[itex]^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] + 1(t+1)[itex]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex])

So that's as far as I've gotten with this problem. I unfortunately don't know how to continue with it though. Does simplifying the derivative of (t(t+1))[itex]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] lead me to the answer provided? Or did I derive something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2
    Yes, you're right simplification will lead you to the right answer.

so you have

-t/(2(t+1)^(3/2)) + 1/(t+1)^(1/2)

so the common denominator is 2(t+1)^(3/2) so multiply the top and bottom of the second expression by 2(t+1)

so you have

-t/(2(t+1)^(3/2)) + 2(t+1)/(2(t+1)^(3/2))

add them now

2t+2-t/(2(t+1)^(3/2))

t+2/(2(t+1)^(3/2))

4. Apr 5, 2012 #3
    Ah thank you! I've figured it out now and learned a new thing about exponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook