1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perihelion Pass Dates?

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    Hey

I am writing a basic javascript orrery which will display the position of the planets orbiting the sun. Using keplers equation I am going to find the true anomaly and the radius at the current time and then plot the points to a 2d grid.

The problem is I need to know the time that has elapsed since perihelion so I can calculate the Mean anomaly. I plan to use the iterative Newton method to get the Eccentric Anaomaly and from that work out the true anomaly.

Do you guys know where I can find a list of previous perihelion dates where the planets were at their closest approach?

Thanks
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The definitive source of ephemeris data is the HORIZONS system at JPL. Website: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4
    It's nice that that site still lists that we have '9 planets'.

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5
    BAH! Semantics !:rolleyes:

7. Jun 30, 2008 #6
    Thanks guys

Ill check out the site tommorow looks like ill have to do a bit more in depth reading onto all the different parrameters ive not really covered this stuff in my course yet but so far I see its just basic trig geometry.

Cheers

Alex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?