Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perihelion Pass Dates?

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    Hey

I am writing a basic javascript orrery which will display the position of the planets orbiting the sun. Using keplers equation I am going to find the true anomaly and the radius at the current time and then plot the points to a 2d grid.

The problem is I need to know the time that has elapsed since perihelion so I can calculate the Mean anomaly. I plan to use the iterative Newton method to get the Eccentric Anaomaly and from that work out the true anomaly.

Do you guys know where I can find a list of previous perihelion dates where the planets were at their closest approach?

Thanks
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The definitive source of ephemeris data is the HORIZONS system at JPL. Website: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4
    It's nice that that site still lists that we have '9 planets'.

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5
    BAH! Semantics !:rolleyes:

7. Jun 30, 2008 #6
    Thanks guys

Ill check out the site tommorow looks like ill have to do a bit more in depth reading onto all the different parrameters ive not really covered this stuff in my course yet but so far I see its just basic trig geometry.

Cheers

Alex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?