What is the Relationship Between Perimeter and Area in an Infinite Staircase?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitely making corners out of corners to approximate a perfect curve. The question posed is whether maintaining the same perimeter while infinitely reducing the area is possible. It is noted that approximations by regular polygons will always be jagged, but the limit is pi. The conversation also references a similar problem of taking more and more "stairsteps" to a point and the total length always being 2 instead of the straight line length of \sqrt{2}. It is concluded that the stairsteps do not converge uniformly to the line.
macbowes
Alright, so I was just browsing 4Chan and I came across this post.

[PLAIN]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5374/1291537737867.jpg

I realize infinitely making corners out of corners may result in an approximation of a perfect curve, however, it will always be jagged and thus result in the difference between 4 and pi.

My question is, can you maintain the same perimeter while infinitely reducing the area? Cause that's what it appears to be doing in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=450364

macbowes said:
I realize infinitely making corners out of corners may result in an approximation of a perfect curve, however, it will always be jagged and thus result in the difference between 4 and pi.

Approximations by regular polygons will also always be jagged, but the limit is pi.

The perimeter will polygon will always equal 4. The area, of the polygon, however, will come infinitely close to the area of the circle. At least that's my understanding.

That's a variation on the problem where you take more and more "stairsteps" from (0, 0) to (1, 1) getting a figure very close to the straight line from (0, 0) to (1, 1) but showing that the total length is always "2", not the length of the straight line, \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\). Essentially, the problem is that the stairsteps do not converge uniformly to the line.

HallsofIvy said:
Essentially, the problem is that the stairsteps do not converge uniformly to the line.

They do converge uniformly to the line.

What is the perimeter to area relation?

The perimeter to area relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between the perimeter, or the total distance around the outside of a shape, and the area, or the amount of space inside the shape.

How is the perimeter to area relation calculated?

The perimeter to area relation is calculated by dividing the perimeter of a shape by its area. This results in a numerical value that can be used to compare the perimeters and areas of different shapes.

What does a high perimeter to area ratio indicate?

A high perimeter to area ratio indicates that a shape has a relatively large perimeter compared to its area. This can be seen in shapes with many sides, such as triangles or hexagons, where the perimeter is longer compared to a simpler shape like a square.

How does the perimeter to area relation differ for regular and irregular shapes?

The perimeter to area relation for regular shapes, which have all sides and angles equal, is a constant value. For example, a square will always have a perimeter to area ratio of 4. However, for irregular shapes, the perimeter to area ratio can vary depending on the shape and size of the shape.

How is the perimeter to area relation useful in real-world applications?

The perimeter to area relation is useful in many real-world applications, such as architecture and construction, where understanding the ratio of perimeter to area can help determine the amount of materials needed for a structure. It is also used in agriculture to calculate the amount of fencing needed for a given area of land.