Period and frequency problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period and frequency of an electron's motion in a circular orbit perpendicular to a magnetic field. The necessary equations are provided for speed, charge, mass, radius, frequency, and period. The individual's attempt at a solution involved treating the problem classically and using the classical kinetic energy formula to find the correct radius. However, there was a discrepancy in the final answer, with the individual obtaining a different value from the one given by a homework website. A potential explanation for this difference is suggested to be a rounding issue.
BigFlorida

Homework Statement

Find the period and frequency of the motion of an electron of kinetic energy, E, 34 KeV as is moves in a circular orbit perpendicular to a magnetic field, B, of 0.270 T.

Homework Equations

For speed, v:
upload_2015-10-3_16-1-3.png

For charge, q:
upload_2015-10-3_16-6-15.png

For mass, m:
upload_2015-10-3_15-59-20.png

For radius, R:
upload_2015-10-3_15-33-33.png

For frequency, f:
upload_2015-10-3_15-42-32.png

For period, T:
upload_2015-10-3_15-52-33.png

The Attempt at a Solution

We were told to treat this classically, so I computed the radius by solving for the speed with the classical kinetic energy formula,
upload_2015-10-3_16-1-33.png
, from which I found
upload_2015-10-3_15-33-33.png
, which gave me R = 2.2 mm, which is the correct radius. I then went on to use the relation
upload_2015-10-3_15-42-32.png
and this is where things went horribly wrong. I got the answer
upload_2015-10-3_15-47-35.png
, which seems very reasonable to me. I obtained
upload_2015-10-3_15-50-29.png
for the frequency, which also seems very reasonable to me. The only problem is, the answers are wrong or at least our homework website (WebAssign) says that those are the wrong answer. Anyone see a mistake I may be making?

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-3_15-32-52.png
    upload_2015-10-3_15-32-52.png
    512 bytes · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a rounding issue? 7.56 GHz according to WolframAlpha.
Looks correct.

1. What is period and frequency?

Period and frequency are two related concepts in physics and mathematics that describe the repeating nature of a waveform or oscillation. The period refers to the time it takes for one complete cycle of the waveform, while frequency is the number of cycles that occur in one second.

2. How are period and frequency related?

Period and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. Mathematically, the relationship is represented as T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

3. Why are period and frequency important?

Period and frequency are important because they help us understand and analyze various phenomena in science and technology. They are used to describe and measure the behavior of waves, sound, light, and other oscillating systems.

4. How are period and frequency measured?

The period is typically measured in seconds, while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). One hertz is equal to one cycle per second. In experiments, period can be measured by recording the time it takes for one complete cycle to occur, while frequency can be calculated by counting the number of cycles in a given time period.

5. What is the difference between period and frequency?

The main difference between period and frequency is that period is a measure of time, while frequency is a measure of the number of cycles per unit time. Another way to think about it is that period is a direct measurement, while frequency is an indirect measurement derived from period.