1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period and Frequency Question

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    A guitar string vibrates 750 times in 3.00s. Calculate period and Frequency.

I am in grade 11 and it is my first week in physics 11 so I'm new at this!! My question is on how the significant digits work. I don't know where I should leave my answer..

Here is my attempt:

Period: 3.00/ 750 = 0.0040s.. is that right with the about of sig fig?

Frequency 750/3.00 = 250hz

Help me!! Thanks

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2
    A

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    As a rule of thumb, take your answer out to the number of significant digits given in the problem. For example, if you are given that some quantity of the problem equals 0.751, you were given three significant figures. Thus, if you put something in your calculator and get an answer out to 10 decimal places, you should only take three significant figures. Also, it is generally a good idea to give an answer out to the least number of significant figures given in the question. In your case above, the quantity 3.00 has three significant figures, while 750 has only two. Therefore, your answer should most reasonably have two significant figures, which you did! Hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted