What is the period of the spring's motion after the car strikes it?

In summary, the period of a spring is the time it takes for one full cycle of its oscillation. It is inversely proportional to the spring constant and is affected by the mass and amplitude of the object attached to the spring. The period and frequency of a spring are inversely related, and it can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k).
frownifdown
A 870·kg car strikes a huge spring at a speed of 16·m/s, compressing it 10.0·m.

How long does it take the spring to stop the car?

2. Homework Equations - T= 2pi√m/k
I don't know why I can't get this problem right. I have 2pi√870/2227.2=3.92 then you would divide that by 2 because it's half the period to get it stopped which gives me 1.96 which doesn't work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just solved it, not sure why I had to multiply it by .25 instead of .5 but I took a guess and it worked.

What is the period of a spring?

The period of a spring is the amount of time it takes for one full cycle of oscillation, or back-and-forth movement, to occur.

How is the period of a spring related to its spring constant?

The period of a spring is inversely proportional to its spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

What factors affect the period of a spring?

The period of a spring is affected by the spring constant, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the amplitude (or maximum displacement) of the spring's movement.

What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a spring?

The period and frequency of a spring are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

How do you calculate the period of a spring?

The period of a spring can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in newtons per meter.