Measuring Periods w/ Motorola HS12 ICs

In summary, the conversation discusses using a counter to determine frequency of signals but also notes the need to measure period. The use of ICs and transistors is mentioned, as well as the potential to use input-capture ports on the Motorola HS12 microcontroller. The possibility of configuring these ports for pulse accumulation is also brought up. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a known clock to turn a frequency meter into a period measuring device and the mention of using on-chip timer counter blocks and a look-up table for calculating frequency from period.
formulajoe
I was designing a circuit to determine frequency of signals using a counter as the main part of the circuit. However, I was just informed that period must also be measured or have the circuit perform one of the other.
Are there ICs that are able to determine the period between rising edges? If so, I will be able to use transistors to multiplex between frequency or period measurement.
The microcontroller I will be using is the motorola HS12. I know there are some ports on the HS12 that can be used for input-capture. The period could easily be found using these ports. Can these ports also be configured for pulse accumulation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to turn a frequency meter into a period measuring device, just put a known clock into the input of the frequency meter, and trigger the meter with your signal that you want the period of. Put in 1MHz into the frequency counter's input if you want the period readout in microseconds.

I'm not familiar with the HS12 uC, but if it has on-chip timer counter blocks, then yes, that would be a good way to capture the period data for your waveform, and then you can calculate the frequency from that. With a small uC, you may want to use a look-up table to do the inverse function from period to frequency.

Yes, there are ICs that are specifically designed for measuring periods between rising edges. These ICs are called "period counters" or "pulse width measurement ICs". They work by using a timer or counter to measure the number of clock cycles between two rising edges of a signal, and then converting that into a period measurement.

The Motorola HS12 microcontroller does have input capture ports that can be used for measuring periods. These ports can be configured for different modes, including pulse accumulation, which allows you to measure the time between multiple rising edges and accumulate them to get a more accurate period measurement.

You can use transistors to multiplex between frequency and period measurement, but it may be easier and more accurate to use a dedicated period counter IC. This will also free up your microcontroller to perform other tasks.

Make sure to carefully read the datasheet of the HS12 to understand the capabilities and limitations of the input capture ports and how to configure them for pulse accumulation. You may also want to consider using an external crystal oscillator for more accurate time measurements.

1. How do Motorola HS12 ICs measure periods?

Motorola HS12 ICs use a timer unit to measure periods. The timer unit has several input capture registers that can record the time at which a signal transition occurs. By calculating the difference between two input capture register values, the period of the signal can be determined.

2. What is the accuracy of measuring periods with Motorola HS12 ICs?

The accuracy of measuring periods with Motorola HS12 ICs depends on the frequency of the signal being measured and the resolution of the timer unit. Generally, the accuracy can range from a few microseconds to a few milliseconds.

3. Can Motorola HS12 ICs measure periods of non-constant signals?

Yes, Motorola HS12 ICs can measure periods of non-constant signals. The timer unit has a prescaler that can adjust the resolution of the timer, allowing for the measurement of both high and low frequency signals.

4. What is the maximum frequency that Motorola HS12 ICs can measure?

The maximum frequency that Motorola HS12 ICs can measure depends on the specific model and configuration of the IC. However, most models can measure frequencies up to 10 MHz.

5. How can I ensure accurate measurements with Motorola HS12 ICs?

To ensure accurate measurements with Motorola HS12 ICs, it is important to properly configure the timer unit and use appropriate filtering techniques if the signal being measured is noisy. It is also recommended to test and calibrate the IC periodically to maintain accuracy.