What is the Period of a Near Rectilinear Orbit with Zero Minor Axis?

In summary, the orbit described is a degenerate elliptical orbit that some authors label as a rectilinear orbit.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I don't know how to calc the period of a parable orbit.
Relevant Equations
third kepler's law: T = 2pia^3/2*(m/k)^0.5
1589866659957.png

I made and understood the letters a b c, but i don't understand the letter d.
I thought it would be the double of the answer C [
1589867959155.png
], but seems that's not right, since the book says the answer is two times the answer of B [ two times this[
1589867982243.png
]

Physics news on Phys.org
The case described is not a parabolic orbit. The comet will return to it's starting position and velocity, and the comet's path repeats itself and is periodic. It is actually an extremely elongated ellipse. A parabolic orbit does not repeat.

phyzguy said:
The case described is not a parabolic orbit. The comet will return to it's starting position and velocity, and the comet's path repeats itself and is periodic. It is actually an extremely elongated ellipse. A parabolic orbit does not repeat.
It has been confused to me, since that area's law say basically dA/dt = L/2m, and being L = 0, what type of motion is this? I can't see.

LCSphysicist said:
It has been confused to me, since that area's law say basically dA/dt = L/2m, and being L = 0, what type of motion is this? I can't see.
The area of the orbit is zero. The comet justs moves back and forth along a line, kind of like a weight on a spring. Think of an elliptical orbit where the width of the orbit (the small direction) gets compressed to zero.

phyzguy said:
The area of the orbit is zero. The comet justs moves back and forth along a line, kind of like a weight on a spring. Think of an elliptical orbit where the width of the orbit (the small direction) gets compressed to zero.
OMG now i see, it really makes sense,but, unfortunately, i don't get yet the book's answer
We could apply the third kepler's law with great accuracy:

T = 2pi*(r/2)^3/2*(1/G*Ms)^0.5

T = pi*(r^3/(2*G*Ms))^0.5
1589901037882.png

DO you see any mistake?

Attachments

• 1589901033164.png
    1589901033164.png
    959 bytes · Views: 107
Its a degenerate elliptical orbit that some authors label as rectilinear orbits.

Filip Larsen said:
Its a degenerate elliptical orbit that some authors label as rectilinear orbits.
Yes:)) Now i see.
DO you agree with my result?

I assume you are still trying to understand why the answers in your textbook disagrees with your own result and, if so, we will probably better be able to spot where you go astray if you can specify what parameters are given in Problem 8.20 and what equation (4.58) is all about.

As already mention in this thread, the (near) rectilinear orbit is really "just" an elliptical orbit where the minor axis is (near) zero, or similarly, where the apoapsis (r_max) is finite (as for an elliptical orbit) and periapsis (r_min) is zero. By "just" I mean that the most of the equations for an elliptical orbit, e.g. equations speed or period, can be used directly by applying the right value for semi-major axis (which luckily relates fairly simple to the apo- and periapsis distance).

(Edit for wording).

1. What is the period of a comet with l = 0?

The period of a comet with l = 0 refers to the time it takes for the comet to complete one full orbit around the sun. This value is determined by the distance of the comet from the sun and its speed of travel.

2. How is the period of a comet with l = 0 calculated?

The period of a comet with l = 0 is calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the distance from the sun. This equation can be used to calculate the period of any object orbiting the sun, including comets.

3. What factors can affect the period of a comet with l = 0?

The period of a comet with l = 0 can be affected by several factors, including the gravitational pull of other planets, the shape and size of the comet's orbit, and any external forces acting on the comet.

4. Why is the period of a comet with l = 0 important to study?

The period of a comet with l = 0 is important to study because it can provide valuable information about the comet's origin and evolution. By understanding the period, scientists can also predict the comet's future movements and potential impacts on Earth.

5. Can the period of a comet with l = 0 change over time?

Yes, the period of a comet with l = 0 can change over time due to various factors such as collisions with other objects, changes in the comet's orbit, and the effects of outgassing. However, these changes are generally small and can be predicted and monitored by scientists.