1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of a low-Earth orbit.

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a satellite in a circular, low-Earth orbit; that is, its
    elevation above the Earth’s surface is h ≪ R⊕. Show that the orbital period P for such a satellite is approximately P=C(1+ 3h/[2R⊕]).

2. Relevant equations
    P2 = (4pi2)/(GM) * a^3. (G - gravitational constant, M - mass of the earth (in this case) and a = semi-major axis)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, the semi-major axis will be: a = h + R⊕.
    I've also picked up that a useful representation of a will be: a = R⊕(1 + h/R⊕)
    This means our equation because P2 = (4pi2)/(GM) * (R⊕(1 + h/R⊕))^3.
    Now we just want P, so P = (2pi/√GM) * (R⊕(1 + h/R⊕))^(3/2).

This obviously doesn't leave me with much. I've picked up from a few lectures that it may have something to do with Taylor series, but I'm severely stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good guess. It is taylor series. (1+x)^(3/2)=1+3x/2+3x^2/8+... for x small. Truncate to the linear term. Does that help?

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    Oh yes, I do see. That is almost exactly what is required.
    I don't suppose you'd know any reason for keeping it to the linear term?
    Perhaps because h << R the other terms become negligible. I think that is reasonable!
    Thank you very much.
    That was much simpler than I thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook