Period of a Pendulum and moment of inertia

In summary, the holiday ornament swings back and forth as a physical pendulum, with a period that can be estimated using a formula.
Quincy

Homework Statement

A holiday ornament in the shape of a hollow sphere with mass 1.0×10−2 kg and radius 5.0×10−2 m is hung from a tree limb by a small loop of wire attached to the surface of the sphere. If the ornament is displaced a small distance and released, it swings back and forth as a physical pendulum. Calculate its period. (You can ignore friction at the pivot. The moment of inertia of the sphere about the pivot at the tree limb is (5/3)MR^2.)

Homework Equations

T = 2Pi*(sqrt(I/mgL))

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the only formula I know for the period, but the problem doesn't give the value of L. Is there another formula for the period?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given enough info to figure out what L is. Think about what exactly L is defined as. It's the distance between what two points?

Quincy said:

Homework Statement

A holiday ornament in the shape of a hollow sphere with mass 1.0×10−2 kg and radius 5.0×10−2 m is hung from a tree limb by a small loop of wire attached to the surface of the sphere. If the ornament is displaced a small distance and released, it swings back and forth as a physical pendulum. Calculate its period. (You can ignore friction at the pivot. The moment of inertia of the sphere about the pivot at the tree limb is (5/3)MR^2.)

Homework Equations

T = 2Pi*(sqrt(I/mgL))

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the only formula I know for the period, but the problem doesn't give the value of L. Is there another formula for the period?

I think it is saying that it is not hanging. It is attached by a loop. Draw a loop around the limb and then draw the ornament attached to the loop.

Hi Quincy! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Quincy said:

Then invent a formula! :wink:

Find the torque (moment) of the weight at a typical angle, and then use the formula τ = Iα to get an (approximately) shm equation. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Quincy! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Then invent a formula! :wink:

Find the torque (moment) of the weight at a typical angle, and then use the formula τ = Iα to get an (approximately) shm equation. :smile:

Wouldn't you still need that distance for I?

vela said:
You're given enough info to figure out what L is. Think about what exactly L is defined as. It's the distance between what two points?

Oops, I misread the problem, I was thinking it was attached to a wire with some length instead of a loop.

What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one full swing or oscillation. It is affected by the length of the pendulum, the gravitational force, and the angle of release.

How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of a pendulum, the longer the period will be. This is because the longer pendulum has a greater distance to cover in each swing and therefore takes longer to complete one full oscillation.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia will be. This means that objects with more mass concentrated at the edges or ends will have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with their mass distributed closer to the axis of rotation.

What is the relationship between the period of a pendulum and the moment of inertia?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the moment of inertia. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the period of the pendulum also increases.