• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Period of a pendulum .

Period of a pendulum.....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A simple pendulum of length l is suspended from the ceiling of a cart which is sliding without friction on an inclined plane of inclination theta. What will be the time period of the pendulum?

2. Relevant equations
T=2(pi) root(l/geff)

3. The attempt at a solution
There is this concept of geff(g effective) which i dont know how to apply....So basically how to do this sum?
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Re: Period of a pendulum.....

when the (pendulum + cart)system moves along the inclined plane, they do not feel the effect of any gravity in that direction as if they were in free fall in the sliding direction.
so, what remains is the g component perpendiculur to the slide direction, which is your effective g in this case.

Re: Period of a pendulum.....

Ya.....that is okay.......for this sum.....but in general how to find the direction of g(eff)....
I mean for some general cases there must be some way to find the time period using the general method ...ie showing that the a=-w^2*x or torque=-w^2(theta) for the system and then using T=2(pi)/w...... For other cases i have done it many times...even for a normal pendulum(the commom derivation)....But i am not getting such a method for tilted pendulums....

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads