Period of Pendulum A vs B: Find Faster Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses two pendulums, A and B, with different lengths and masses. The question is asked whether the mass of the pendulum affects its period. The formula for the period of a simple pendulum is mentioned, but the individual is not familiar with it and is advised to either derive it or look it up. The conversation concludes with uncertainty about the correctness of the answer.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

Pendulum A is 20 cm long and has a 5g mass on it. Pendulum B is 30 cm long and has 10g mass on it. Which one has a faster period?

Homework Equations

d=v1t+0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, does the mass of the pendulum matter at all? and if not then it I would need to find the time in both cases and divide by 1 right?

Time Pendulum A= 0.20 s which means that the period is 0.20 s.
Time Pendulum B= 0.25 s which means that the period is o.25 s.

Am I right? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
First of all, does the mass of the pendulum matter at all?

Nope.
and if not then it I would need to find the time in both cases and divide by 1 right?
?

Time Pendulum A= 0.20 s which means that the period is 0.20 s.
Time Pendulum B= 0.25 s which means that the period is o.25 s.
Whence these numbers?

Am I right? Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

No.
What's the formula for the period of a simple pendulum?

I do not know because we have not learned it. >.<

sakonpure6 said:
I do not know because we have not learned it. >.<

Then you'll have to derive it from the differential equation relating restoring torque to angular acceleration for small deviational angles.

Really it would be simpler for you to just look it up though.

I would like to clarify that the period of a pendulum is not affected by the mass of the pendulum. The period of a pendulum is determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity (g).

Using the equation T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, we can calculate the period for both pendulums.

For Pendulum A: T=2π√(0.2m/9.8m/s^2)= 0.9 seconds
For Pendulum B: T=2π√(0.3m/9.8m/s^2)= 1.1 seconds

Therefore, Pendulum A has a faster period of 0.9 seconds compared to Pendulum B's period of 1.1 seconds. This is because Pendulum A has a shorter length, which results in a shorter time for the pendulum to complete one full swing.

In conclusion, the mass of the pendulum does not affect the period, but the length of the pendulum does. Pendulum A has a faster period due to its shorter length compared to Pendulum B.

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. It is often used to measure time and can also be used to demonstrate the principles of physics.

2. How does the period of a pendulum compare between two different pendulums?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete swing back and forth. The period is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the force of gravity. Therefore, the period can vary between different pendulums based on these factors.

3. How can I find the faster rate between two pendulums?

To find the faster rate between two pendulums, you will need to measure the period of each pendulum. The pendulum with the shorter period will have a faster rate, as it takes less time to complete one swing back and forth.

4. What factors can affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the force of gravity. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and the temperature of the surrounding environment can also have an impact on the period of a pendulum.

5. Can two pendulums with the same length have different periods?

Yes, two pendulums with the same length can have different periods if they have different masses or are in different locations with varying gravitational forces. Additionally, if one of the pendulums has air resistance or is affected by other external factors, it may have a different period than the other pendulum.