How to Determine Various Waveform Parameters from a Graph?

In summary: See the waveform carefully. What are the peak and valley points on the waveform?The peaks and valleys correspond to the points where the amplitude is maximum and minimum, respectively.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Given the wave form, determine the period, frequency, peak amplitude, peak to peak amplitude, voltage offset, phase angle, signal equation, rms voltage.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! So the main issue I'm having with this problem is reading the values I need from this graph. I uploaded a picture of the wave and a helpful diagram of a sine wave that define what all the values I need are.

I know that the period is the distance between the peaks of the wave. I've seen some people divide the number of waves in the graph by the amount of time on the x-axis of the graph. So for this case T=7/(50x10-6 = 7.143, which by eye-balling it it seems to be close.

For the peak amplitude, I think it is 0.5.

The peak to peak amplitude, I think it is 0.6

The voltage offset, I don't know how to find. Is there some sort of formula I'm missing?

I don't know how to find the phase angle.

The signal equation and rms voltage should be easy to find after I have all the other values.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• sineWave.PNG
    sineWave.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 542
  • wave_def.PNG
    wave_def.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,113
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:
No.
jdawg said:
The voltage offset, I don't know how to find. Is there some sort of formula I'm missing?
See the waveform carefully. What are the peak and valley points on the waveform?

jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Given the wave form, determine the period, frequency, peak amplitude, peak to peak amplitude, voltage offset, phase angle, signal equation, rms voltage.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! So the main issue I'm having with this problem is reading the values I need from this graph. I uploaded a picture of the wave and a helpful diagram of a sine wave that define what all the values I need are.

I know that the period is the distance between the peaks of the wave. I've seen some people divide the number of waves in the graph by the amount of time on the x-axis of the graph. So for this case T=7/(50x10-6 = 7.143, which by eye-balling it it seems to be close.

The signal equation and rms voltage should be easy to find after I have all the other values.

Thank you for any help.
The first step is to write down the general form of the equation you are trying to fit to the data. This is missing from your Relevant Equations.

cnh1995 said:
jdawg said:
No.
Actually, using the terminology of the OP's second attachment, that was correct; the peak amplitude is 0.5 V. "Peak amplitude" here is not to be confused with "signal amplitude."

@jdawg, don't forget your units.

jdawg said:
[Edit: Be careful what you are doing here. Are you calculating the period or the frequency? They are inverses of each other. So once you find one it's easy to find the other. Just make sure you don't confuse the two.]
As mentioned above, I agree.
That looks right to me. Again though, don't forget your units.
It is possible to quantify this with a formula, but for this exercise you can eyeball it.
It is possible to quantify this with a formula, but again, for this exercise you can eyeball it. [Edit: it will be somewhere between 0 and 360o if you represent it in degrees, or it will be between 0 and [itex] 2 \pi [/itex] if you represent it in units of radians. Either way, you should be able to eyeball it for this exercise.]
The rms voltage of a sine wave either requires prior knowledge about rms voltage of sine waves, or you can derive it yourself with calculus. You'll also need to know how the voltage offset fits into the overall rms voltage (or find it yourself with calculus). The easiest way is to look up these relationships in your coursework.

Last edited:
Likes jdawg

What is the period of a sine function?

The period of a sine function is the length of one complete cycle of the function. It is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph.

How is the period of a sine function calculated?

The period of a sine function can be calculated using the formula T = 2π/b, where b is the coefficient of x in the function. If the sine function is written as y = a sin(bx + c), then the period would be T = 2π/b.

What does the period of a sine function represent?

The period of a sine function represents the time it takes for the function to complete one full cycle. It is used to measure the interval between repeating patterns or cycles in the function.

How does changing the coefficient of x affect the period of a sine function?

Changing the coefficient of x in a sine function will change the period of the function. A larger coefficient will result in a shorter period, while a smaller coefficient will result in a longer period.

Can the period of a sine function be negative?

No, the period of a sine function cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the length of one full cycle of the function.