Period of a star / momentum

In summary, the mass of a star performing one rotation in 27.70 days with a mass of 1.570 x 10^31 kg and uniform mass distribution, will have a new rotation period of 174 days if the diameter suddenly shrinks to 0.550 times its original size. This can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation and the momentum of inertia for a sphere. Converting radians to days is necessary in the calculations.
Punchlinegirl
The mass of a star is 1.570 x 10^31 kg and it performs one rotation in 27.70 days. Find its new period (in days) if the diameter suddenly shrinks to 0.550 times its present size. Assume a uniform mass distribution before and after.
I used conservation of momentum
[tex] I \omega_o = I \omega_f [/tex]
I said that the initial diameter was 1 since it wasn't given. This would mean the initial radius was .5.
I found the initial angular velocity by doing [tex] 2 \pi rad / 27.70 day [/tex], divided by 24 hr, and then divided by 60 min, and divided by 60 s to get 2.63 x 10^-6 rad/s.
So [tex] L_o = (1.570 x 10^{31})(.5^2)(2.63x 10^{-6})[/tex] = 1.03 x 10^{25}
The diameter is then shrunk by .550. This means the new radius is .275.
So [tex] L_f= (1.570 x 10^{31})(.275^2) \omega = 1.19 x 10^{30} \omega [/tex]
Solving for omega gave me 8.66 x 10^ {-6} \frac {rad} {s} .
My answer has to be in days, and I'm not really sure how to convert or if I even did this right. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Punchlinegirl said:
The mass of a star is 1.570 x 10^31 kg and it performs one rotation in 27.70 days. Find its new period (in days) if the diameter suddenly shrinks to 0.550 times its present size. Assume a uniform mass distribution before and after.
I used conservation of momentum
[tex] I \omega_o = I \omega_f [/tex]
I said that the initial diameter was 1 since it wasn't given. This would mean the initial radius was .5.
I found the initial angular velocity by doing [tex] 2 \pi rad / 27.70 day [/tex], divided by 24 hr, and then divided by 60 min, and divided by 60 s to get 2.63 x 10^-6 rad/s.
So [tex] L_o = (1.570 x 10^31)(.5^2)(2.63x 10^-6)[/tex] = 1.03 x 10^25
The diameter is then shrunk by .550. This means the new radius is .275.
So [tex] L_f= (1.570 x 10^31)(.275^2) \omega [/tex]=[tex] 1.19 x 10^30 \omega [/tex]
Solving for omega gave me 8.66 x 10^ -6 rad/s .
My answer has to be in days, and I'm not really sure how to convert or if I even did this right. Please help!

First do not give any value to the radius, just call it r.
yes , use L=I_0w_0=I_1w_1 (*)

Then use the momentum of inertia for a sphere I=(2/5) m r^2.

don't convert to seconds there's no need (I_0, I_1 do not depend on time) and calculate w_0. Use rad/days as units. Find w_1 from (*), and from it the new rotation period.

:)

Last edited:
ok i used [tex] (2/5)MR^2 \omega_o = (2/5)MR^2 \omega_ f [/tex]
I found [tex] \omega_o [/tex] to be 174 by doing 27.70 x 2[tex]\pi [/tex]
Dividing both sides by the moment of inertia would cancel out them out meaning that the final angular velocity= 174 days
Is that right? Wouldn't the .550 need to come in somewhere?

Yes, the 0.55 comes in:

[tex]\frac{2}{5}MR^2\omega_o = \frac{2}{5}M(0.55R)^2\omega_f
[/tex]

Converting radians to days: (radians/s) = 2pi/T. T = 2pi/(radians/s). convert seconds into days.

I_0 is not equal to I_1 because the radius of the sphere is different in each case.
In one case we have a radius given by R, and in the other one we have a smaller radius: 0.550R.

You have the correct expression for w0 in your first post w0=2pi rad/T_0=2pi rad /27.7 days.

Last edited:
I got it. Thank you

I hope you're not too ticked off that your [tex]\omega_f[/tex] was correct in your first post.
All you needed to do was the reciprocal units conversion that you did first!

1. What is the period of a star?

The period of a star refers to the amount of time it takes for a star to complete one full rotation or orbit around its axis or another object. It can range from a few hours for rapidly rotating stars to millions of years for slowly rotating ones.

2. How is the period of a star measured?

The period of a star is typically measured by observing its brightness or spectral lines over a long period of time. The variations in these measurements can reveal the star's rotation rate and therefore its period.

3. What factors can affect the period of a star?

The period of a star can be influenced by several factors, including its mass, size, and distance from other objects. The presence of a companion star or a planet can also affect a star's period through gravitational interactions.

4. How does the period of a star relate to its momentum?

The period of a star and its momentum are directly related. A star with a shorter period will have a higher rotational speed and therefore a greater momentum, while a star with a longer period will have a slower rotational speed and a lower momentum.

5. Can the period of a star change over time?

Yes, the period of a star can change over time due to various factors such as stellar evolution, interactions with other objects, and external forces like tidal forces. However, these changes are usually gradual and can take millions of years to significantly affect a star's period.