How Is the Orbital Period of a Chunk of Ice Calculated in Saturn-like Rings?

• Thread starter sugarntwiligh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the rings of a Saturn-like planet are made of chunks of ice that orbit the planet, with an inner radius of 170,000 km. The mass of the planet is 5.7x10^26 kg. To find the period of an orbiting chunk of ice at the inner radius, the force of gravity on the planet is calculated using the equation g=(G)(mass of planet)/(radius squared). The centripetal velocity is then determined using the equation a=(squared v)/r, and the value of v is found using the equation V=(2)(3.14)(r)/(T). However, the correct answer is 2x10^4s, which is not obtained through this method
sugarntwiligh

Homework Statement

The rings of a Saturn-like planet are composed of chunks of ice that orbit the planet. The inner radius of the rings is 170,000 km. The mass of this planet is 5.7x10^26 kg.
Find the period of an orbiting chunk of ice at the inner radius.

Homework Equations

The force of gravity on the Saturn-like planet:
g=(G)(Mass of planet)/(radius squared)
Centripical velocity (can I do this using g from above as a?):
a=(squared V)/r
Then, use value of calculated v:
V=(2)(3.14)(r)/(T) to find T

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate g, and used the above equations:
g=1.3156m/ssq
g=a (centripical)
1.3156m=(squared v)/(1.7x10^8m)
v=2.236x10^8m/s
2.236x10^8m/s=(2)(3.14)(1.7x10^8m)/(T)
T=4.77s

The correct answer is 2x10^4s.
Christina

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me? Please I did really try to get it on my own but I just don't understand where to go after calculating the gravity. How do I relate gravity with period?

Okay, so I did a little work on my own again and am still stuck. I derived the force by setting F=G*m1*m2/r^2 and plugging in the values:
G=6.67e-11
m1=6.14e26
m2=negligible
r=7.8e7 (in meters)

Then I set that answer equal to m*a, from F=ma, and used the m1 value from above to get a velocity of 8.167e-6m/s. Not the right answer.

What is the period of a moving object?

The period of a moving object refers to the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of motion. It is commonly measured in seconds.

How is the period of a moving object calculated?

The period of a moving object can be calculated by dividing the total time of one full cycle by the number of cycles. For example, if an object takes 5 seconds to complete one full cycle and it repeats this motion 2 times, the period would be 2.5 seconds.

Does the mass of an object affect its period?

Yes, the mass of an object can affect its period of motion. Heavier objects typically have longer periods, while lighter objects have shorter periods.

What factors can affect the period of a moving object?

The period of a moving object can be affected by factors such as its mass, the force acting upon it, and the medium it is moving through (e.g. air, water).

How can the period of a moving object be measured?

The period of a moving object can be measured using various tools such as a stopwatch, motion sensor, or high-speed camera. These tools can accurately measure the time it takes for an object to complete one full cycle of motion.