1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of Oscillation of Steel Ball Help Please!

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    smsrhj.jpg

I already did the first part, and the equation for the period becomes: T=2[tex]\pi[/tex](ml/[tex]\gamma[/tex]PA)(1/2)

I know 12 litres = 0.012 m3, and the the mass of the ball is the volume of a sphere of radius 0.01m x the density = 0.0318 Kg, for pressure I am not sure whether I am suppose to use 1 atm or 101.3 kPa, that's the least of my problems though. The area of the a cross section of the tube, assuming the ball is fitted, is [tex]\pi[/tex](0.01)2=0.000314m3...So assuming all those are right, now I need the length. I thought that maybe the flask also had the same radius as the ball, and so the length would just be 0.012m3/0.0000314m3=38.2m, but when I plug all there numbers in to the equation for period I don't get 1 second or anything close as the answer.

Can someone help please?

Edit: Hm...if I use 101 325 Pa as my pressure it works....can someone confirm if what I've done is right? 38.2 m seems awfully long for a flask.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The glass tube is mounted on a flask. The diameter of the tube is 2 cm. The volume of the flask is 12 l. You don't even know the shape of the flask, but its diameter definitely is not 2 cm.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook