What is the Period of Oscillation for a Frequency of 315 Hz?

In summary, the frequency of oscillations is equal to 315 Hz and the value of the period can be found by using the equation T = 1/f. The units for velocity are meters per second, for wavelength are meters, and for frequency and period are hertz and seconds, respectively. The relationship between frequency and period is that frequency is equal to 1 divided by the period.
mikefitz
The frequency of oscillations of, f, is equal to 315 Hz. What is the value of the period of oscillations, T?

I understand that the speed of the wave is related to the wavelength and the frequency according to this:

v = w/f = w/T

But, how am I to solve for T if I don't know the value of 'v' or 'w' ? I know I'm missing something simple here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Include units to help you get a more intuitive feeling for what is going on.

What are the mks units of velocity?

What are the mks units of wavelength?

What are the mks units of frequency? (Hint: what are the units of period?)

The units on the lefthand side and righthand side of an equation *must* be equal.

mikefitz said:
I understand that the speed of the wave is related to the wavelength and the frequency according to this:

v = w/f = w/T
If that were true, it would mean that f = T. You're thinking of v = wf.

But, how am I to solve for T if I don't know the value of 'v' or 'w' ? I know I'm missing something simple here.

Yes, you are missing something: the very simple relationship between frequency and period. To figure that out, ask yourself what frequency means. What the meaning of a frequency of 1 Hz? 2 Hz? Then ask yourself what period means.

doh! f=1/T - I knew it was something simple! Thanks again guys.

1. What is the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle of a repeating motion. It is typically denoted by the symbol T and is measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of oscillation related to frequency?

The period of oscillation and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The equation for this relationship is T = 1/f, where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is affected by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the oscillating system. In general, a larger mass or stiffer system will have a longer period, while a higher damping will result in a shorter period.

4. How is the period of oscillation different from the amplitude?

The period of oscillation is a measure of time, while the amplitude is a measure of the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. While the period remains constant for a given oscillating system, the amplitude can vary depending on the initial conditions or external forces.

5. Can the period of oscillation be calculated for all types of oscillating systems?

Yes, the period of oscillation can be calculated for all types of oscillating systems, including simple harmonic motion, damped oscillations, and forced oscillations. However, the equations and variables used to calculate the period may differ depending on the type of oscillation.