1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of oscillation?

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    The frequency of oscillations of, f, is equal to 315 Hz. What is the value of the period of oscillations, T?

I understand that the speed of the wave is related to the wavelength and the frequency according to this:

v = w/f = w/T

But, how am I to solve for T if I don't know the value of 'v' or 'w' ? I know I'm missing something simple here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Include units to help you get a more intuitive feeling for what is going on.

What are the mks units of velocity?

What are the mks units of wavelength?

What are the mks units of frequency? (Hint: what are the units of period?)

The units on the lefthand side and righthand side of an equation *must* be equal.
  4. Nov 27, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If that were true, it would mean that f = T. You're thinking of v = wf.

Yes, you are missing something: the very simple relationship between frequency and period. To figure that out, ask yourself what frequency means. What the meaning of a frequency of 1 Hz? 2 Hz? Then ask yourself what period means.
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    doh! f=1/T - I knew it was something simple! Thanks again guys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?