1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of oscillation

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've managed to do parts i) and ii) with not much bother. But as for iii) then I haven't a clue how to show that the period of oscillation is given by that. I've always been under the impression it is simply given by 2pi*sqrt(m/k), but am now wondering whether that was just an approximation in itself. It's clear that the limits would be xb and xa as they define the entire range of the object's motion in the potential curve.

I have a feeling energy considerations may play a part but am not sure how to go about it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you find in part ii) ? Can you use that in part III ?

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I've attached what I got for ii.

Attached Files:

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see a ##\dot{..}##KE = ... where it seems you already know initial position and speed. Your integrand is 2/v(t) ? If you also know x(t) then you can change integration variable to t, right ?
    I don't see the equation of motion, or how you derived these KE and PE expressions, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted