1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of radial oscillations

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    • Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum.
    Assuming a neutron star is a uniformly dense sphere of radius 10km and mass =1.4 mass of sun, derive the period of radial oscillations.First use hydrostatic equilibrium to calculate p, then the velocity of sound is $$v= \sqrt{ \gamma p / \rho}$$, so the period of pulsation is time it takes from r=0 to r=R and come back.

I first used hydrostatic equilibrium:$$ \frac{dp}{dr}=- \frac{GM(r)\rho}{r^2}$$
    and $$M(r)= \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho$$ so that $$ p(r)=- \frac {2}{3} \pi \rho^2r^2$$,
    so question 1: how does there is a negative value?
    question 2:how do I calculate time from r=0 to r=R and back?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget the integration constant. What is the boundary condition for pressure?
    That follows from the velocity.

4. Oct 5, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your answer. No the problem doesn't say the boundary condition. How do I know that?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. Oct 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

What do you expect as pressure at the surface?

6. Oct 5, 2015 #5
    Because P(r) decrease along r it would be 0? so I can derive the constant?

7. Oct 6, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

It is zero, as particles would move outwards otherwise. Yes, this allows to find the constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted