Earth's Rotation: Comparing Upper Ionosphere and Polar Crust Periods

In summary, the question being asked is whether there is a difference in the period of Earth's rotation at its uppermost ionosphere compared to its polar crust. The answer is that there is no difference, as the upper atmosphere and lower atmosphere have the same period of rotation as the crust, which is about 24 hours. This period remains the same at the equator as it is at the poles. However, there is some evidence of a slight slippage in rotation, possibly due to differences in air density.
Jug
Don't know if this has been asked before, but...do we know the period of Earth's rotation at its uppermost ionosphere compared to, say, period of rotation at its polar crust?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the question; I believe the upper atmosphere and lower atmosphere have the same period of rotation as the crust, which is about 24hrs. This period remains the same at the equator as it is at the poles.

Was that what you were asking?

Originally posted by LURCH
Not sure I understand the question; I believe the upper atmosphere and lower atmosphere have the same period of rotation as the crust, which is about 24hrs. This period remains the same at the equator as it is at the poles.

Was that what you were asking?

The Earth at its crust rotates at a period of some 23 hrs 54'. By an independant study I find that its uppermost ionosphere rotates at a period of exactly 24 hrs, indicating a slippage due perhaps to a difference in density between tha 2 extremes. I'm wondering what formal studies there might be to describe a differential in rotation at various levels of the air mass.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Earth's rotation?

Earth's rotation is the spinning motion of our planet on its axis, which is an imaginary line that runs through the North and South poles. This rotation causes day and night as well as other natural phenomena on Earth.

2. How does the upper ionosphere period compare to the polar crust period?

The upper ionosphere and polar crust are two different layers of Earth's atmosphere. The upper ionosphere period refers to the time it takes for this layer to complete one full rotation with the Earth, which is approximately 24 hours. The polar crust period, on the other hand, is the time it takes for the Earth's crust to complete one full rotation, which is also approximately 24 hours. Therefore, the two periods are the same.

3. What causes the upper ionosphere and polar crust periods to be the same?

The reason for the upper ionosphere and polar crust periods being the same is due to the phenomenon known as tidal locking. This is when the gravitational pull of a larger body, in this case, the Moon, causes the rotation of a smaller body, such as Earth, to synchronize with its orbit. As a result, the upper ionosphere and polar crust periods are synchronized with the Moon's orbit around Earth.

4. How does the Earth's rotation affect life on our planet?

The Earth's rotation is essential for life on our planet. It helps create day and night cycles, which are crucial for regulating plant growth, animal behavior, and human activities. It also has an impact on weather patterns and ocean currents, which are vital for sustaining life on Earth.

5. Is the Earth's rotation constant?

No, the Earth's rotation is not constant. It is gradually slowing down due to the tidal forces of the Moon and Sun. This means that the length of a day on Earth is slowly increasing. However, this change is very minimal and will not have a significant impact on our daily lives for thousands of years.