1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of satellite

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An artificial satellite is travelling in a circular orbit around the earth.The radius of the orbit from the earth's center is r.Assume that the earth is a uniform sphere of radius R.The magnitude of acceleration due to gravity at the surface is g.What is the period of the satellites orbital motion?
    a)2pi r/sqrt(gR)
    b)2pi R/sqrt(gr)
    c)2pi r/R sqrt(r/g)
    d)2pi R/r sqrt(R/g)

I am thinking that the problem is somehow related to uniform circular motion but I hit my first problem while trying to get the centripetal acceleration that is acting on the satellite because the give gravitational force is supposed to be on the surface of the earth.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2
    How does the force of gravity change with distance?

So if the force of gravity on the surface of the earth, i.e. at distance R from the centre of the Earth is g, what is the force of gravity at distance r?

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    Yap I think that is the approach.Gravity acting on the satellite is R^2/r^2 (g) through which you get to (c) as the answer

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4
    That's it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted