Period of Satellite's Orbital Motion Around Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of an artificial satellite's orbital motion around the Earth. The problem is related to uniform circular motion and involves finding the centripetal acceleration and force of gravity at different distances from the Earth's center. The solution involves using the equation R^2/r^2 (g) and the correct answer is option (c).
Asla

Homework Statement

An artificial satellite is traveling in a circular orbit around the earth.The radius of the orbit from the Earth's center is r.Assume that the Earth is a uniform sphere of radius R.The magnitude of acceleration due to gravity at the surface is g.What is the period of the satellites orbital motion?
a)2pi r/sqrt(gR)
b)2pi R/sqrt(gr)
c)2pi r/R sqrt(r/g)
d)2pi R/r sqrt(R/g)

I am thinking that the problem is somehow related to uniform circular motion but I hit my first problem while trying to get the centripetal acceleration that is acting on the satellite because the give gravitational force is supposed to be on the surface of the earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Asla said:
I hit my first problem while trying to get the centripetal acceleration that is acting on the satellite because the give gravitational force is supposed to be on the surface of the
earth.

How does the force of gravity change with distance?

So if the force of gravity on the surface of the earth, i.e. at distance R from the centre of the Earth is g, what is the force of gravity at distance r?

Yap I think that is the approach.Gravity acting on the satellite is R^2/r^2 (g) through which you get to (c) as the answer

That's it :smile:

I would like to clarify that the period of a satellite's orbital motion around Earth is determined by the relationship between its orbital radius and the gravitational force acting on it. The correct answer to the given problem is option b) 2pi R/sqrt(gr).

To understand this, we need to use the formula for centripetal acceleration, which is given by a = v^2/r, where v is the orbital velocity and r is the radius of the orbit. In this case, the gravitational force acting on the satellite is providing the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular motion, and can be expressed as F = GmM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m is the mass of the satellite, and M is the mass of Earth.

Equating these two equations, we get v^2/r = GmM/r^2, which can be rearranged to get v = sqrt(GM/r). Now, we know that the period of a circular motion is given by T = 2pi r/v. Substituting v in this equation, we get T = 2pi r/sqrt(GM/r). Since we are dealing with Earth's gravitational force, we can replace M with the mass of Earth, which is given by ME = (4/3)pi R^3p, where R is the radius of Earth and p is the density. Substituting this in the equation for T, we get T = 2pi r/sqrt(G(4/3)pi R^3p/r). Simplifying this further, we get T = 2pi R/sqrt(gr), which is the correct answer.

In conclusion, the period of a satellite's orbital motion around Earth is determined by the relationship between its orbital radius and the gravitational force acting on it, and can be calculated using the formula T = 2pi R/sqrt(gr).

1. What is the period of a satellite's orbital motion around Earth?

The period of a satellite's orbital motion around Earth is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around the Earth. This can range from a few hours for low Earth orbit satellites to several days or even months for higher orbit satellites.

2. How is the period of a satellite's orbital motion calculated?

The period of a satellite's orbital motion is calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This law can be applied to satellites orbiting Earth, with the average distance from the Earth being used instead of the sun.

3. What factors affect the period of a satellite's orbital motion?

The main factors that affect the period of a satellite's orbital motion are the satellite's altitude, the Earth's mass, and the satellite's velocity. A higher altitude will result in a longer period, while a lower altitude will result in a shorter period. A more massive Earth will also result in a longer period, as will a lower velocity of the satellite.

4. Can the period of a satellite's orbital motion change?

Yes, the period of a satellite's orbital motion can change due to a number of factors. These include atmospheric drag, which can slow down the satellite and therefore increase its period, and gravitational perturbations from other celestial bodies, which can alter the satellite's orbit and therefore its period.

5. Why is the period of a satellite's orbital motion important?

The period of a satellite's orbital motion is important for a number of reasons. It helps to determine the satellite's position in orbit, which is crucial for communication and navigation purposes. It also affects the satellite's speed and the amount of fuel needed for orbital maneuvers. Additionally, studying the period of a satellite's orbital motion can provide valuable information about the Earth's gravitational pull and other factors that affect its orbit.