1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of the sun

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    Could someone help me start this problem. My mind it in the angular momentum mode and I am having trouble seeing where to start on this one. :confused:

The sun's radius is 6.96E8m and it rotates with a period of 25.3d. Estimate the new period of rotation of the sun if it collapses with no loss of mass to become a neutron star of radius 5.5km. Give the result in seconds.

Thank you very much!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    With the given radius you can find [tex]I_{initial}[/tex] and [tex]I_{final}[/tex]. With the given period, find out [tex]\omega_{initial}[/tex]. Then you use conservation of angular momentum to achieve your answer.
  4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    as such...(you don't need the moments of inertia exactly because it maintains a spherical shape and same mass so those factor out)

[tex](r_i)^2 \omega_i = (r_f)^2 \omega_f[/tex]
    [tex]\omega_f = \frac{(r_i)^2 \omega_i}{(r_f)^2}[/tex]
    [tex] T_{new} = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega_f} [/tex]

follow complete done
  5. Nov 14, 2004 #4
    I calculated two different answers, both of which were to my dismay incorrect....but I am thinking that a conversion error might be the culprit. I am having trouble understanding what "a period of 25.3d" is -- as in, what does "d" stand for....should it be a time unit?
  6. Nov 14, 2004 #5
    in a period d=days
  7. Nov 14, 2004 #6
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! to everyone involved in helping with this problem!! :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?