1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic function in integral

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    ıf the function f :R->R is cont. and periodic with a period T>0 then

Are integral from nT and zero f(x) dx and n(integral from T to zero f(x)dx are egual to each other ?

I proved by giving examle that it is true. I thinl it is not right way How can ı prove this?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    You can prove it graphically.By observing overall sum of areas.Areas above x-axis are positive, while below x- axis are negative.So when from nT to 0 all the positive and negative areas get added and cancel each other except from T to 0.That's your RHS.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your answer.sorry but ı couldn't understand how to do this as you said.can you tell me more explicitly :)

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see that "positive" and "negative" has anything to do with this.
    [tex]\int_0^{nT}f(t)dt= \int_0^T f(t)dt+ \int_T^{2T} f(t)dt+ \int_{2T}^{3T} f(t)dt+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \int_{(n-1)T}^{nT} f(t)dt[/tex]

There are n integrals and, because f is periodic with period T, they are all equal to
    [tex]\int_0^T f(t)dt[/tex]

6. Apr 15, 2012 #5
    Thank you for your answer.I want to question about your answer. ıs answer integral from T to 0 f(t)dt or n[integral from T to 0 f(t)dt] ?

7. Apr 15, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have n values, each equal to A, what is the sum?

8. Apr 15, 2012 #7
    I understand now,thank you for your efforts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook