Proving Equality of Integrals with Periodic Functions

In summary, if the function f:R->R is continuous and periodic with a period T>0, then the integral from nT to 0 of f(x)dx and n times the integral from T to 0 of f(x)dx are equal to each other. This can be proven by observing the overall sum of areas, where the areas above the x-axis are positive and below the x-axis are negative. By adding and canceling these areas, except for the interval from T to 0, we get the right hand side of the equation. This can also be shown algebraically as n integrals, each equal to the integral from 0 to T of f(x)dx.
e179285
ıf the function f :R->R is cont. and periodic with a period T>0 then

Are integral from nT and zero f(x) dx and n(integral from T to zero f(x)dx are egual to each other ?

I proved by giving examle that it is true. I thinl it is not right way How can ı prove this?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You can prove it graphically.By observing overall sum of areas.Areas above x-axis are positive, while below x- axis are negative.So when from nT to 0 all the positive and negative areas get added and cancel each other except from T to 0.That's your RHS.

Thank you for your answer.sorry but ı couldn't understand how to do this as you said.can you tell me more explicitly :)

I don't see that "positive" and "negative" has anything to do with this.
[tex]\int_0^{nT}f(t)dt= \int_0^T f(t)dt+ \int_T^{2T} f(t)dt+ \int_{2T}^{3T} f(t)dt+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \int_{(n-1)T}^{nT} f(t)dt[/tex]

There are n integrals and, because f is periodic with period T, they are all equal to
[tex]\int_0^T f(t)dt[/tex]

Thank you for your answer.I want to question about your answer. ıs answer integral from T to 0 f(t)dt or n[integral from T to 0 f(t)dt] ?

If you have n values, each equal to A, what is the sum?

I understand now,thank you for your efforts.

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals or periods. This means that the function has a predictable pattern that repeats itself infinitely.

2. How is a periodic function related to integrals?

A periodic function can be integrated over one period to find the average value of the function. This is useful in applications where the average value of the function is needed, such as in physics and engineering.

3. Can any function be periodic?

No, not all functions can be periodic. A function must have a repeating pattern in order to be considered periodic. Linear and quadratic functions, for example, are not periodic.

4. What is the difference between a periodic function and a non-periodic function?

The main difference between a periodic and non-periodic function is the presence of a repeating pattern. Periodic functions have a predictable pattern that repeats itself, while non-periodic functions do not have a predictable pattern and their values do not repeat at regular intervals.

5. How are trigonometric functions related to periodic functions?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, are examples of periodic functions. They have a repeating pattern that is related to the angles in a right triangle. These functions are used to model periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the tides.